Introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Angie1014, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Angie1014

Angie1014 In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2019
    West Union, IL
    HEY ALL! My name is Angie. Always searching for info about my chickens and stumbled across this page.

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    We first got 15 chickens last year and ended up with 6 at the start of this year. Then we purchased 22 more, a turkey and my silkie babies.
    (2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    We are down to 26 chickens (to include the silkies) we lost our Turkey. He was pretty spunky. After that we put netting over the top of the coop and havent lost any.

(3) What breeds do you have? We have cuckoo murans, gold laced wyndottes, ameraucanas, speckled Sussex, cinnamon queens, silver laced wyndottes, black sex link, and silkies. Fyi- we just realized one of my silkies is a rooster in the last week, he started crowing and it is so cute. Is that what you call the rooster call...a crow lol. Oh and Sara Lee is a Rhode island we got from my mother in law. And then there is Walter the rooster who just appeared one day from across town. He is an orange color, and he doesnt want to leave.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? They all seem to have their own unique personality and my younger ones are so friendly. The eggs are a great bonus.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? My husband and I recently took up leather tooling. He makes knives and decided I needed to make sheaths but he likes the leather part as well. I like to sew blankets and things as well and a few years ago I started working with polymer clay.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I married last, he has 3 boys (21, 16, and 14). We have jaydah-pup, she is 8 and a blue heeler beagle mix. I have an 18 year old cat named spaz. We got a cat last year named Domino, but we call him mister and the 16 year old just rescued a tiny kitten from a dumpster. We love our animals.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
    I actually stumbled across this site today. With the temperatures starting to drop at night I was curious about my silkies being able to handle it. Our plan was to bring them in the house for the winter but after reading some of the threads, I'm thinking then can stay out as long as they stay dry.

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello Angie and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Farmer Connie, N F C, 007Sean and 8 others like this.
  3. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Hi Angie! :frow Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :celebrateBest wishes and have lots of fun! :wee

Farmer Connie, N F C, 007Sean and 9 others like this.
  4. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi Angie and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

@Ribh and @Aussie-Chookmum are just going into winter as well.

Farmer Connie, Ribh, N F C and 9 others like this.
  5. slejdad

slejdad Songster

Apr 24, 2019
    Whaleyville (Suffolk) Va
    Welcome to the forums! Where are you located that the temps were dropping enough at night to concern you?

6. Welcome Angie!:frow
    Actually we are in the middle of winter now ;):p. My chooks seem to be doing fine in their coops, but I'd be happier if all 4 of them roosted together in the same coop!:barnie

:welcome

7. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Angie, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    It sounds like someone dumped Walter off on you. I'm glad you are able to keep him. If you want to know his breed, you can post pictures of him on the Breed & Gender Forum.

8. Hi Angie,
    Glad you joined, i hope you enjoy it here as much as me.
    Welcome to the backyard!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Angie, and welcome to BYC.

10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: