Introduction

ChickieKeeta

C'mon C'mere Fluffa Feathers
14 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Cumberland County NJ
Hello. I am in South Jersey. I just picked up day old chicks from the post office today. Last year I was brand new to chicken keeping. I still have a lot to learn.

One of my new chicks is lame. Any ideas how to care for her or what I should do?

welcome-byc.gif
from TN
About your chick you should post in the emergencies, disease, section. And describe what your chick is doing. Im sure some of us will be able to help you with some advice.
smile.png

I echo the poster above; specific details, posted in illness section of forum, will get you the best and fastest advice. And welcome to you and your chicks!

Thank you for the welcome and info on how to post about lame chick. Lame baby chick died this morning. It is sad but she is better off. Her toes were curled shut and her legs went out to the side or behind her. A chicken needs to be able to stand & walk.

Last year (my initial chick experience) I got 1 year old chicks. RIR & white leghorns. 3 of each. I then bought 4 20 week old red stars. I got 12 baby chicks from the local feed store. 6 Americannas & 6 buff orpingtons. 1 buff died the second day & one of my Amer. "pullets" later crowed. 1 Amer. had scissors beak. She suddenly disappeared & I think the neighborhood owl may have had something to do with that. Several weeks ago a neighborhood girl & her dogs were in my yard chasing my chickens & 1 buff went missing. Recently I found 1 of the Amer. chickens dead. Other than that chicken keeping has been fun & uneventful.
My chickies are great egg producers. Even all through the winter.

I had sold my adult chicks just before the babies came in last year.
I would like to keep a dozen chicks. Maybe a few more.

I ordered 25 baby red stars and got 1 free rare chick. However there were only 22 red stars in the box. 1 of those was the lame chick. I emailed the hatchery. I wonder if a few chicks "got lost" in transit?

I hope to learn what breed my extra chick is. I am sure I will learn a lot here & look forward to getting to know you!

Back
Top Bottom