Introduction

Browniebird

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2024
Willamette valley, oregon
I am pretty new to chickens, first got them when I moved in with my now-husband 3 years ago. His mother was -supposed to- help me learn chicken care, as she lives 10 minutes from us and has somewhere around 50 chickens herself. The flock I started with was a batch of chicks she had unintentionally had hatched, that had been moved to my husband's inhereted coop shortly after we met. When I moved in they had just hit laying age. I started with 15, a barnyard mix of australorp, rhode island red, and americanas.
3 years later I have 4 left of my original flock. 6 roosters went to freezer camp and my other losses were from Mereks.

I just bought australorp, delaware, and jersey chicks last month, and was given a new rooster last fall that I do not know the breed of. I bought 12 chicks, so now I have 17 birds total. With a toddler, 4 laying hens wasn't going to cut it.

I am not a pet person, don't really like animals or people in general, and my favorite thing about chickens is that they have so much attitude and constantly tell me to **** off. That I am only their slave and nothing else.

My other hobbies? I work full time nights, live on a grass seed farm, have a toddler, and repair antique sewing machines.

My coop is a converted hog shed that is a work in progress but I have put A LOT of hours into the conversion and remodeling, with more left to come.

I am not a pet person, don't really like animals or people in general, and my favorite thing about chickens is that they have so much attitude and constantly tell me to **** off. That I am only their slave and nothing else.
Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

So many of us have said owning chickens is therapeutic to some level or another. Perhaps them telling you to **** off is therapeutic in some way. :gig Your intro is great and made me giggle.

Back
Top Bottom