Introduction

SunnyArizona

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 7, 2014
Arizona
Hi, I am new to this site and joined today. I live in Arizona and have three cats and six chickens. Three french cuckoo Marans, a Barred Rock, an Ameraucana (which may be an Easter Egger) and a Rhode Island Red, which we think may be a Ruben not a Ruby! The main problem here is keeping the chickens cool so any handy tips would be welcome.

Hi, I am new to this site and joined today. I live in Arizona and have three cats and six chickens. Three french cuckoo Marans, a Barred Rock, an Ameraucana (which may be an Easter Egger) and a Rhode Island Red, which we think may be a Ruben not a Ruby! The main problem here is keeping the chickens cool so any handy tips would be welcome.

Welcome, Sunny! I'm pretty new to the site and to keeping chickens, too. It's a great place to learn and to meet some wonderful people! I have not had a question yet for which I have not found an answer here. I guess there is no new problem under the sun when it comes to chickens! :)

Welcome to BYC. You came to the right place for everything chicken! We keep our girls with freash cool water and lots of summer treats, like watermelon, any fruits, and ice to peck at. Feel free to share pics of your babies, we love pics!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good suggestions/links above on keeping them cool, good luck with your flock!

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good suggestions/links above on keeping them cool, good luck with your flock!

Welcome to BYC! X2 on the suggestions and links. Check the color of your Ameraucana's legs. If they are greenish, it is an Easter Egger, and not a true Ameraucana, which have slate colored legs. Good luck with your flock.

ell of the above to keep your birds cool! I have also been putting plastic jars of frozen water and some of those cooler inserts that you freeze in the coop at night. They are filled with blue liquid. I put them into plastic freezer bags to keep the girls from pooping on them! The girls lay up against them and they stay cool till morning.! I Aldo bought a misting hose attachment for about 10 bucks at Kmart. I turn that on at various times of the day when it's hot. Also make puddles with the hose in the outdoor run. Extra waterers of various kinds. They drink more in the hot weather.

:cd

:welcome

Last edited:
They need shade, shade, shade, real or manufactured. You can put out shallow pans of ice water - they like to stand in it to cool off - the ice will be gone before you set it down.

I knew someone in Ariz. that had the coop air conditioned. Not to be cold but even 5-10% lower than outside, feels better.

Back
Top Bottom