Introduction

Chicken Ladies

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 1, 2014
Carrollton, TX
I am new to Chickens. & forums. My partner 's family had chickens, when she was growing up. I have had chickens for 3 days now. 2 are called Black Sex Link & 2 are Barred Rock. I think they are a week old. :I just built them a home out of a box & Duck Tape ( couldn't find chick tape).
We live in Carrollton, TX.

Welcome to our forum!

You may find our Learning Center a good place to start browsing.

My first brooder was also a cardboard box and duct tape. I'm guessing you have this indoors. You can probably put them outside in 2 or 3 weeks in this weather. Chickens are much more tolerant of cold than heat, so the challenge down here is to have enough shade and breeze to get them through the summers. Here is a good thread about the sort of open style living space they do well in, in the south:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/163417/please-show-me-your-hot-weather-coops/0_20

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on Kelsie and Judy. Your first brooder need be nothing but a small box. But chicks grow fast and will start jumping and roosting on things so you'll need to be prepared to have a bigger and stronger box.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congrats on the new chicks! Definitely stop by the link Kelsie has left you on how to raise you new chicks for the first 60 days. The learning center is loaded with great articles on all the aspects of raising poultry, so you might stop there as well.

Enjoy your new babies and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with the chicks!

Back
Top Bottom