Introduction

welcome-byc.gif
So glad you have joined us. You have already had responses to your question.

But, I agree with your issue on GMO foods. The only real study came from France and is an important one that IMO too few people have paid attention to. I think GMO's are banned there, so you should no have to worry about that.

Good luck with your flock.

Thanks all again for the warm welcome! I spoke to my husband last night and we have decided against any sort of rooster for the moment, based on the great advice here.

Regarding GMO foods, they are not entirely banned in France but they are banned from being grown here for consumption. Imported grain could well be genetically modified but is clearly labelled and non-GMO is also clearly labelled. As far as I know there is a small confined/controlled area somewhere in France where they grow certain crops for testing/research but not for consumption by humans or animals. I have also banned roundup from my garden, the chickens will now control weeds!

The most common chickens here are Maran, Brahma, Silky, Leghorn as well as other ornamental chickens. We are looking for layers and the one that keeps coming up in our search is poule pondeuse (which means laying chicken). These are like battery hens and I have no idea what bread that actually is, but I wouldn't mind getting one of these and a Maran, so one black and one light brown. I would also like a Wyandotte if I can't find a nice Maran. Another thing, we are getting young hens that are either ready to lay or have already started, so unfortunately no chicks. Perhaps I'll convince hubby that we (my daughter and I) can handle looking after chicks hatched (I almost said born! lol) in spring.

We have found a breeder in a village not far from us so when the coop and run arrive next week we'll be off to find our perfect hens.

I will post some photo's here too.

I look forward to further interaction with you all!

We are looking for layers and the one that keeps coming up in our search is poule pondeuse (which means laying chicken). These are like battery hens and I have no idea what bread that actually is, but I wouldn't mind getting one of these and a Maran, so one black and one light brown.
Poule Pondeuse are what we call Sex Link chickens here in American and they are hybrid egg laying machines. There are two basic types of Sex Links. The Red Sex Link (Poule Pondeuse Rouge) is produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Not only can the offspring be sexed by color from hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish), they will outlay either parent breed. The Black Sex Link (Poule Pondeuse Noire) is produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a barred gene hen. Like Red Sex Links, they can also be sexed by color from hatching (male chicks have a white spot on top of their black heads, the tops of female chicks heads are solid black), and Black Sex Links also outlay either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. I've raised both Sex Link varieties for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids) and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. If you have a choice between the two Sex Link varieties, I actually slightly prefer the Black Sex Links as mine have been friendlier than my Red Sex Links, and slightly better layers in really cold winter weather, but you can't go wrong either way.

I managed to find not only GMO free feed but it is also organic, so no chemicals used whatsoever. I'm happy to know that I can get it easily because I looked around at 4 places and when I couldn't find it I got worried. There is a co-op in the next village that stocks it so I don't have to feed them nasty treated feed. I didn't have a choice of colour for the Sex Links so got a brown one, she is a bit cheeky, it is funny to see. There is a chicken fair coming up soon that I'll go to and perhaps get a black one. Thanks for your advice.

I didn't have a choice of colour for the Sex Links so got a brown one, she is a bit cheeky, it is funny to see. There is a chicken fair coming up soon that I'll go to and perhaps get a black one. Thanks for your advice.
You're welcome. Brown Sex Link is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links. They are the same cross (red gene rooster X silver gene hen). Good luck in getting a Black Sex Link as well.

Back
Top Bottom