Introductions

gmomfarms

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
SW Virginia
I have 21 chicks that are a mix of RI reds, red rock X pullets, SLW, 2 Cornish X, and 2 unknowns that were purchased as Cornish X but clearly are not. They are about 7 weeks old and have been outside in their coop and run for 2 weeks. Today I purchased a 5-6 week old Easter egger pullet and a Buff Orpington pullet also 5-6 week. As soon as I put them in the coop, a RIR, one of the unknowns, and a SLW that I think is a roo started attacking them. I built a wire pen in one part of the coop and gave them separate water and feed. The new chicks are considerably smaller than the others. How long will I have to keep the isolated like this before I can reintroduce them to the flock. I plan on keeping them, 3 RIR, and 2-3 SLW pullets once I can gender them, the rest will go to freezer camp to borrow another poster's phrase.

Safest to wait til they are all their adult size. You could try again in a week or two, but probably a month is safer. Or, if no blood was drawn, just let them fight it out, since they are going to do some of this no matter when you mix them.

Back
Top Bottom