Intros with a New Roo

My 3 roosters all get along fine and I started out with a Thai, then got an EE roo, then a bantam Ameraucana. I did nothing more to introduce each one than put them in the yard with the flock. I've never had a problem. I've told this story a few time on here so I hope it's not getting over read but in the past they all three joinded up and formed a little rat pack. They would ditch all the hens and hang out in a corner of the yard together. Until I got a bunch of bantam hens for the bantam roo, now the pack has not been seen together since.
110410_the_roos.jpg

Also I've seen my standard EE roo mount the bantam hens. The poor little b. Ameraucana has to just stand there and watch
sad.png

Quote:
I've done it a couple of times with absolutely no difficulties. Once they settle who is dominant..and this is done with minimal fighting or fussing, then it all becomes very peaceful. But then, I have the advantage of free ranging...this may make mileage vary.

As long as I am home, my chickens are free ranging, so they will have lots of room to run and hide. And yes I think the option of free ranging makes a big difference on the amount of bickering that goes on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom