Intruder last night

Ok guys upon further investigation I don’t think anything got into the run. I think it was one of my girls digging under the 4x4 as there is no other sign on the other side of the fence that something was digging. I will keep an eye out but I’m convinced it wasn’t anything

Hey guys I had my first predator try to get into my coop last night. I’m assuming it was a raccoon but not exactly sure. I wasn’t able to sink hardware cloth around my run on the outside because of there being way too much rock and stone. Can I put hardware cloth on the floor of the run and staple it to the base of my run? I have 4x4s running around the entire run so I have a base to staple it to. Also if I lay hay down over the hardware cloth will it injure my chickens feet as they are primarily in the run and coop area all day? Also I don’t keep food or anything in the run I just think whatever it was found out I had chickens and wanted to get in.
Some predators can dig under your boards. They say to bury some of the fencing in the ground under the pen or going out from the pen to prevent that. That is so much work. I have an electric fence running around my pen. It works as long as it is on but you must be careful that your birds do not touch it and can't. One year I had the most adorable little yellow chick get its feathers and it managed to fly over my fence and sat on the electric. I found it fried to the fence the next day. That was upsetting it was my favorite bird. Electric fences work but can be dangerous so be careful if you try them. We had racoons and they managed to find a small hole and make it a big one and get in the coop. It is amazing how fast they can eat birds and leave nothing behind. Watch out for dogs too they have fun running through the flock just to run over the birds and kill them. Good luck. Another thing I make sure the top is secure to the sides because some of these crafty predators will get on top somehow and then find a way into the pen. If you place your coop under a tree branch for shade know that a predator may climb that tree and get down onto the top of the pen as well as a hawk.

I didn’t actually see the raccoon I just noticed a small hole coming in.
Was going to ask to see a pic of the hole....but....

Ok guys upon further investigation I don’t think anything got into the run. I think it was one of my girls digging under the 4x4 as there is no other sign on the other side of the fence that something was digging. I will keep an eye out but I’m convinced it wasn’t anything
Yeah, they can dig. I put logs, boards, pavers, bricks around inside of run walls.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/excavation-by-birds-a-word-of-warning.1086535/

Even if a predator didnt dig into your coop This time, your birds are still at risk. And btw skunks as well as raccoons and opposums DO kill and eat chickens. Many sad threads on this forum vouch for that fact. On YOUR property, lay a 3 ft hardware cloth apron flared out on top of the rocks, Then cover with more rocks. (I did this to avoid digging through large tree roots around my coop.) Your chickens will be protected. On the private property side, u may need to lay an apron inside your coop, as deep as u can get it. Even tho it is Possible your chickens could snag their feet, it is more likely a predator will eventually again. If your chickens can easily dig a hole inside their living area, a predator can easily dig in also.

Back
Top Bottom