Iowa Blue, Barred Holland, or Brabanters

animal nut

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
S. E Ohio
Iowa Blue, Barred Holland or Brabanter..does anyone have these? I was on the Ideal website and was wondering if anyone has had these chickens. They seem interesting and I was considering ordering some. I would like some hands on experiences.

I have Creme Brabanters and love them! They are very hardy and good rangers.I believe they have retained a good amount of survival instincts-and they are friendly.

goslings247.jpg

goslings194.jpg

I bought some Iowa Blues from Ideal, and was verry dissapointed. They were the least friendly of all my birds, and one was downright mean. They were flighty and did not mix well with my other birds, even though I bought them all as chicks, and they were all handeled regularly. They weren't the propper shape either( long and lean insted of brick shaped), which leads me to believe they were mixed with something else, or were just really poor specimens. I wanted Iowa Blues so bad...then I had to get rid of them because of their temperment. The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth, and I will not order from Ideal again.
I would buy your Iowa Blues from Sandhill.

Thank you for the info. This info will help me decide what breeds I will purchase this spring. I feel hands on experience is best info.

Check with the Society for the Preservation of Poultry Antiquities as well. They should have a listing of breeders that specialize in those breeds.

I bought Barred Hollands from Ideal back in May. Since they have started laying, they have only produced a tan colored egg, not white. I have talked to someone there and they said to wait a while and see if they changed color which I thought was pretty weird. I would do some investigation to see if anyone else had a better strain.

Back
Top Bottom