Iowa Blue breeders

Quote:
I'm kind of new to the business of shipping eggs, but I have pullets laying now. I had tested some and had 5 of 5 hatch out 3-19 just perfect. If you're interested send me a PM.

They are not a recognised breed. They are suppose to be birchen pattern base. I found two kinds of birchen in the group I ordered. The Extended black birchen is used often and as much as regular birchen for a birchen line. Differant recognized breeds have a differant standards for thier birchen variety. Some want breast lacing some count it as a fault. It you breed for it you have to keep it from overtaking the lower breast and underneath. It is created by a seperate gene that is not part of the birchen pattern. Some breeds that dont want laceing use the extended black birchen pattern because if they carry the pencilling gene for lacing then extended black birchen fights it and trys to block it out. Extended black birchen helps to create a solid black variety easier than the regulare birchen. Extended black birchens as chicks , if they carry melinizer gene's ( puts more black on the bird) they will not tend to not have a white tail under belly. Regular birchen will have a strong penquin pattern (black and white) , and the toes on regular birchen will have a few toes that show partial white toes. Extended black chicks near all the toes will be dark. Both end up as they grow to have mostly slate shanks and toes. So it only shows while they are little. Using one over the other has its advantages and disadvantages. Both as with all varieties of birds is helped by having two lines. To have nice colored hens with lost of silver on back neck and top of head , you wont be able to breed nice males and vs versa.
Its best to try to study the standards for differant breeds that have birchens and see what they strive for. There are no rules and if you get stock from some one who is and has been working with some. Its best to ask what type of birchen markings they are working for. There is no club or standard and you are free to breed for what ever type of birchen you want. Japanese Greys are one well established type of birchen. But there are many breeds that have a birchen standard. The French Marans use the regular ER birchen but pefer they not show breast lacing. Game bantam and Standard Game have birchen standards. So until there is a standard any type you want to select for is up to u. The regulare birchen is more versatile as you can breed them for breast lacing or without breast lacing. If you use Extended black birchen yu wont be able to produce veryu good breast lacing. If the chicks show some rust around the upper front forhead they carry what is called mossiness. It is a melinin restrictor and for a plain birchen causes the silver to turn dirty and yellowish especially in the summer. But it is needed to produce a bird that has a fully laced body as in laced wyndottes -- way to much lacing for a standard birchen. So chicks that look touched by brown I would cull. It ruined 95% of the females i raised as they had pepper brown in alot of there feathers and dulled the black feathers on the body and all had greenish or a nicotine yellow silver in their hackles. The silver turning yellowish on males is very noticable. But the carriers have faint rust just around the face. Some are near solid colored cinnamon or ginger. Its probably the Dark brown gene sometimes called ginger brown. It can turn the breast from black to brown on males, seems to less effect on birchen females except ruins the feathers with to much pepper brown.

Some one posted here they are breeding for lacing and following the standard for birchen cochins. Thats their choice. Right now with no club or APA approved standard its who ever and the number of exhibitors of one type over the other. For APA to approve a standard , so many breeders and established and show record for a couple of yrs of that type need to be exhibited so it ends up what type is the most popular being shown that ends up the accepted standard . The breeder who breeds the most numbers and gets others to breed that type of birchen wins. I suppose a double standard could be written if enough of more than one type are being bred and shown. But they have to show a history of showing and breeding them and certain number of independant breeders. One or two breeders wont get them accepted by the APA. I am using regular birchen and trying to not select for breast lacing, it reguires more genes in the birds and is something else that has to be controled in the breeding program . I personally like my females to show silver on the neck and the head. Silver on the head of the females means they arent in danger of starting to throw chicks that will be solid black. Study best you can other breeds so you understand differant varieties. I like the Japanese Grey's alot myself. I dont know what it takes to breed that type of birchen. The males have a abundance of silver and I think they have lacing. I just think that variety is the most showy silver and black type. I am down to just 3 birds and one pullet is gammy , poor mother , and I think an egg eater. The other pullet I have is larger and good mother , lays a larger egg and darker egg. If you get on a wait list from a hatchery, order as many as u can as you will have alot of types to decide to cull from. ANYTHING GOES ,THEY ARE NOT STANDARDISED SO YOU DONT HAVE TO BE INFLUENCED BY WHAT SOME ONE ELSE IS BREEDING FOR. STABILIZE YOU OWN LINE OF BIRDS AND HELP OTHERS GET A START IN THEM AND ENCOURAGE THEM TO SHOW THEM EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT RECOGNIZED. Thats how they will get recognized. Just a recognizable birchen pattern needs to be selected so they can be shown. The egyptian Fayomi birchen pattern is too differant with the lines they have , but they are a rare 3rd type of birchen. This is all food for thought , make your own selection. You should be able to select enough out of 25 chicks .. I ordered 15 and had I known how bad the brown mossiness was going to be. Most were regular birchen and 3-4 were extended black birchen. The dark toes of the extended black chicks can be sort of brownish, maybe from the dark brown gene ? I dont know. I kept the ones that had a partial white toe or two. It disappears latter so on a started chick you cant tell the toes all look the same.
Not sure when I will be breeding mine. Would rather wait til next yr to sell eggs, since I only have a trio. I am in Mo not all that far. I still put my name to be notified at a hatchery and thats how I got mine and ended up a late May delivery. They sell out fast. There is a breeder , I think its the person posted that is selling eggs for Iowa Blues. Here in BYC

yah.... just saw that. still.. any info would be greatly appreciated. :D

I would call Ideal and ask them. I had some added to my current order because the sale associate recommended them. I had never even heard of them. They are listed on their price list but not on the actual website with the rest.

I got my shipment from Ideal and I don’t think I got Iowa blue. It was on the invoice but not in the box. They send me a black chick with a little yellow on its face?!

DAD8CD7B-3EAE-4D0B-9750-A74B8095C73B.jpeg
A0F2A2A1-AC2C-4024-9162-C2E6FF4BBE1C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom