Iowa Blue Chickens - Understanding The Traditional Type

Hello Iowa Blue Lovers, I believe I may have two Roosters in my flock but one wanna keep one so anyone that would be interested in the second one I would be willing to trade him out.

This is my Iowa Blue, Sioux. She is eight weeks old. I've had many folks guess she is actually a he, but none of them have had Iowa Blue experience. What do you think?

Auntie Moose,

I believe this bird is a male, but can't quite see the breast well enough to give you a definitive. At eight weeks old, I've never experienced a female Iowa with a comb that well developed. Good luck with your Iowas.

It is enjoyable to see these chestnut colored chicks showing up in your flock Candy. The color is so beautiful and much more rich than the nearly solid brown silvers. When you see it in person you know what I mean. The one of the bottom left and the one at the top center have the modifiers in all the right places it seems. Those chestnut colors chicks which are slightly lighter and richer in color tend to be the ones who mature with the proper coloration for the breed.

LL

Last edited:
Auntie Moose,

Yes that does help......male. Hopefully you don't find that to be too disappointing!

Back
Top Bottom