Iowa Blue

fairwindminishetland

Songster
9 Years
Feb 13, 2010
seminole oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
HI I am hoping someone can help guide me with my 5 month old Iowa Blue chicks. I have 10 hens that vary widely on comb size, color and eye color..and some have more silver on their hackles...Can anyone tell me what comb color, size is desirable and what eye color is desirable? I sure would love some help! I want to breed for correct type. Thanks.

combs wattles and earlobes: Medium to moderately large single comb with six well defined points that stand upright. Medium to moderately large wattles and earlobes. all are bright red. Color:beak is horn; eyes are dark brown; shanks and toes are slate. in spite of its name it isnt a true blue bird. head is silvery white. neck and upper breast have white feathers with a slender black stripe down the middle transitioning to black feathers with white lacing. lower breast, body, legs, wings, and tail are bluish black to gray with penciling. Male color: Back and saddles are similar to neck. Female color: Back is bluish to gray with penciling. Place of origin: United States. Conservation status: study. Special Qualities: Nice backyard or barnyard dualpurpose layer of lightly tinted brown legs. Produses sex-linked offspring when used in cross-breeding programs.

Hi fairwindminishetland

Here is a little info. on the Iowa Blues from a book I have.

Iowa Blues were developed in Iowa around the turn of the twentieth century. Until World War II, developing local composite breeds was common, and the Iowa Blues is a suriving example. Campines and Plymouth Rocks probably went into its development.

There are only two books that I know of that has any infrmation on the Iowa Blues.

Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultrey Breeds

How to Raise Chickens

Here is the info. that Sand Hill Preservation Center has on them.

Iowa Blue: Gray penciled pattern, pale brown eggs, medium to moderately large single comb with six points. Please note that these are not a blue chicken. Developed near Decorah, Iowa in the early 1900's. The breed was in desperate need of new blood and I have been working for the past few years to introduce new blood. There is still a slight possibility of an off-type bird. Chick color will range from a warm cocoa brown to black to an occasional mottled one. This breed is a somewhat seasonal layer of pale brown eggs. They go in spurts. When not broody, we get lots of chicks and then all of a sudden they go broody and we get nothing. These are not recognized by the APA Standard. They do not have yellow legs. They make a nice breed for someone who wants a good forager which will set on eggs. (UNAVAILABLE FOR 2010)

Long Horn Poultry Farm

caf.gif
interested I have 2 that are 4 weeks.

Quote:
Hi nanawendy
I have only found a very few pictues of this rare breed so if you still have your Iowa Blue please post some.
big_smile.png
fl.gif

Quote:
Hi punky rooster
That is a very nice looking Iowa Blue! The Iowa Blue has a color pattern close to that of the Silver Sussex.

Back
Top Bottom