Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Thanks for the kind words Jake! This has been an exciting and enjoyable group of breeders that we have here. One of the biggest challenges a new breed club has is that everyone who's been breeding the stock have gone their own way. So as the breeders are coming together to form a unified idea as to what the birds should look like/behave like, there is often times a lot of give an take that is required if they are to be successful in creating a solid standard that they can all stand behind. This group of breeders have been some of the most open minded breeders, most eager to reflect the breed's history within the standard. Often times a new piece of information arises about the breed and the breeders quickly encorporate that information into their breeding pens. The Iowa Blue couldn't have asked for a more sincere and dedicated group of enthusiasts!!!

I also want to take a moment to direct everyone's attention to our website..... Connie has been tirelessly updating and uploading new information to aid us as we travel down this road alongside our Iowa Blues. For anyone who is unfamiliar with breeding techniques or breeding plans will be greatly pleased to see the information that is available on the website. Most of this is found under the "Education and Links" tab! So check it out! You'll be glad you did!

Hello Everyone,

I have 7 Birchen chicks that are just over 1 week old that I'm looking to move on. They were hatched from eggs I obtained from Kari. All of these Birchens are out of Silver Penciled hens bred to her cockerel Rex. So each of these carry the Silver Penciled genes eb and Pg. If you are interested in them, please send me a PM. They are for pick up only as I'm not set up to ship. Thanks.

Ugh, spent a good portion of the night researching ways of turning the IBCC into a tax exempt/non-profit entity. My head hurts and I don't think I'm a step further than when I sat down, but I've managed to clutter my head with all kinds of unintelligible legal double speak.

Blegh. Will try again this weekend.

Blessings to you Connie for all of your efforts. You are really all about what Curt just wrote, your efforts are really appreciated !

Curt I wish I could drive out for those little treasures, I really do. With just 7 then pickup is really best.

I will be looking for several pullets this winter I am sure.

Don't know that we're in a position to set up a legal entity. Looks like application for 501 tax exemption status is $400 ish, getting the tax ID number (EIN) is a minimum of $127, etc. etc.

Will look into just getting a checking account under a DBA. That should be doable, will get us an official name and ability to bank.

Still looking into the tax reporting/responsibilities in this situation. Anyone with experience with the legalities of running a breed club, you're welcome to contact me. :)

Don't know that we're in a position to set up a legal entity. Looks like application for 501 tax exemption status is $400 ish, getting the tax ID number (EIN) is a minimum of $127, etc. etc.

Will look into just getting a checking account under a DBA. That should be doable, will get us an official name and ability to bank.

Still looking into the tax reporting/responsibilities in this situation. Anyone with experience with the legalities of running a breed club, you're welcome to contact me. :)
....and with the IRS's current track record of approving 501C3s, you might get your ID in 2-3 yrs, LOL

In all seriousness, I am going to get some IB eggs from Deb (in a swap for some CR eggs....she already has some of my line) and wondered about the posts I see to crossing with SPRs....can someone enlighten me? What line of SPRs were used? Where were they obtain? Difficult? As I know getting my CRs, I had to get a trio out of Canada

Thanks much!! (still lurking and learning a new breed....)

....and with the IRS's current track record of approving 501C3s, you might get your ID in 2-3 yrs, LOL

In all seriousness, I am going to get some IB eggs from Deb (in a swap for some CR eggs....she already has some of my line) and wondered about the posts I see to crossing with SPRs....can someone enlighten me? What line of SPRs were used? Where were they obtain? Difficult? As I know getting my CRs, I had to get a trio out of Canada

Thanks much!! (still lurking and learning a new breed....)

These are my F1 girls out of some SQ SPPRs I ordered from Dick Horstman. So far they have really shown the improved penciling, size and laying ability I was going for. They are much quieter than the pure Iowa Blues. In these photos they are pretty relaxed, but normally they do have the signature "shark fin" tail. It gets a little lost in the extra cushion and fluff they have, but I hope to see some reduction in that in the next generation.

This is an e+ cockerel they are in with. He is a good sized boy with a lot of substance. I have some nicer SP cockerels growing out but for now I'd like to see what they can produce. All offspring will be eb/e+ at least.

Back
Top Bottom