Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Pics
I know! Already the miracle of hatch has worn off. I need my day olds to grow up already!

They are all Iowa Blues from the same pen and you can see the genetic variety clearly. Someone correct me if you think I'm off base but here is what I came up with:
The black ones are of course Birchen (ER)
The brown ones are Silver or gold penciled on Brown (eb)
and the yellow chipmunk are probably based on partridge/wild type (e+). These will grow up with a reddish breast. These I will cull from the breeding program.
I will separate them out and take better pictures by type.

Last edited:
I know! Already the miracle of hatch has worn off. I need my day olds to grow up already!

They are all Iowa Blues from the same pen and you can see the genetic variety clearly. Someone correct me if you think I'm off base but here is what I came up with:
The black ones are of course Birchen (ER)
The brown ones are Silver or gold penciled on Brown (eb)
and the yellow chipmunk are probably based on partridge/wild type (e+). These will grow up with a reddish breast. These I will cull from the breeding program.
I will separate them out and take better pictures by type.
Wow all that from the same pen ! I'm excited about being able to work on this breed from the ground floor, we have a chance here to work together and get them where we need them. It would be nice to have a breed that everyone was on the same page about from the start. Some breeds have so much controversy surrounding them I'm excited about this project. The Iowa Blues are just a handsome looking bird too !

Great Job Karimw, they sure look healthy. Nice presentation you have there also. I'm really psyched about getting some eggs!

Wanted to take a bunch of photos of the older birds today, but camera battery had other ideas. LOL Here are a couple I managed to get along with some IB chick pics from my little test NYD hatch. Poor rooster had a wind from behind blowing his tail feathers awry, but that is his full attention/alert stance - tail straight up, upright stance.

These last two are a young pair growing up...this is where the camera died, so the only shots I got. Apparently this week they all decided to begin a molt, of all the times to start. Feathers were everywhere!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom