Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Well, I certain have the birds to test this out. I have a Charcoal rooster I can put over birchen and charcoal hens. Want me to set up a pen? The type probably won't be good. Would anyone else be willing to hatch some?
Kari, we would love to hatch some of yours if we can get some eggs from you? I wasn't sure if you were offering your eggs from your charcoal breeding? We have a cabinet incubator but such a small flock :) we are going to make some breeding pens. Then, we plan on taking individual photos from the Charcoal project of each chick, taking 5 month photos and then photos of them when they go through their first molt. Your eggs will be hatched in a separate tray so we can tag them and document properly.

Kari, we would love to hatch some of yours if we can get some eggs from you? I wasn't sure if you were offering your eggs from your charcoal breeding? We have a cabinet incubator but such a small flock :) we are going to make some breeding pens. Then, we plan on taking individual photos from the Charcoal project of each chick, taking 5 month photos and then photos of them when they go through their first molt. Your eggs will be hatched in a separate tray so we can tag them and document properly.
Sure Candy, that would be great. I don't have room to grow out a whole bunch, but I can commit to a breeding pen for a month or two.

Sure Candy, that would be great. I don't have room to grow out a whole bunch, but I can commit to a breeding pen for a month or two.
I sent you a PM about how to arrange getting some eggs from your charcoal/charcoal and birchens.

This will be an interesting project. Now that we have some silvers we can also work on those as well FINALLY :)

eb/eb Pg/Pg is concentric penciling
eb/eb Pg/Pg Db/Db is autosomal barring

The thing that confuses me about our birds is that I've not had any adults grow out fully barred, not one extending beyond juvenile plumage out of hundreds. Has anyone else? The juvenile plumages exhibits the barring, but I have yet to have any end up barred as adults. By 1/4 - 1/2 - 1/4 odds of db vs. Db in incomplete dominant fashion, we should have had some barred adults, shouldn't we? Because then you could keep barreds to breed to penciling to get 100% hets with the patterns fighting, but that thought process. If the key to the changing patterns for our guys is simply db/db vs. Db/db vs. Db/Db, then we really should have had a fair number of barred birds in adult plumage with the number of IBs starting to be produced. We see some more penciled than others, but I haven't seen the same with barring. I agree that we've got mix matching of the genes in our guys, but where are the barred phenotypes?

Also, what adds the stippling/fading over the back of the hens where the pattern fades/blurs?

As for the dilutors, I'm trying to figure out the mechanism in Herman and the like. Seems like they are lighter at the tips of the feathers, which would be more in line with inhibition of black extension to me, but it isn't cut and dried on / off like lacing. The feathers seem to fade gradually out and the effect seems to enhance with age, or so I've been told. Can anyone confirm or has anyone seen these in present day flocks to tell us what the whole feather looks like?

Autosomal barring works on fayoumi birchen to produce the barring in concert with the two pattern genes and two Db genes. The other autosomal barring works on the brown gene at the extended black locus. Stippling is due to the E locus allele. Some E locus alleles are more prone to stippling than others.

Last edited:
Here are some chicks I hatched from a eggs obtained from Mieke and Madi Hoock. This is an example of why this can be so confusing. These chestnut chicks, are eb/eb with heavy melanizers. They can look pretty similar to what you get with ER without Ml.

Here are some chicks I hatched from a eggs obtained from Mieke and Madi Hoock. This is an example of why this can be so confusing. These chestnut chicks, are eb/eb with heavy melanizers. They can look pretty similar to what you get with ER without Ml.
Here are some of the chicks we have hatched out of our Silver Rooster over clean smokey and birchen ladies

Interesting colors
smile.png
all Iowa chicks

Last edited:
I think Candy has a very diverse flock! SHe has some amazing possibilities. Personally I would predict the silver base chicks with the blue haze to turn out awesome.

These chick patterns are totally foreign to me. Very interesting.
@WVDan44
We had such a small flock to start with and had to breed father to daughters and sons to mothers to get where we are. Interestingly enough, with a silver cockerel, two mossy colored birchens and one we thought was a silver, but turns out she was a "clean" smokey hen. We are trying to get back to more chestnut color charcoal type chicks with our breeding. Here is a picture of two we hatched last September:

and here is the chestnut pictured above on the left now:

So, the variety you see is a big range. We are starting to get a few more that are showing the reddish "chestnut" color thanks to having our light charcoal rooster over our older girls. We also got eight eggs from Curtis Burroughs line before he gave all his Iowa flock up. They are called the "Jamaica" line and I believe most of that flock went to Sandhill Preservation. We got three silver and one birchen variety cockerels and three silver and one birchen females from that hatch :) Now we have hatched an overly white silver boy on our own who is pretty is so many ways (posted those pictures in understanding the traditional type thread) but has white ear lobes. Here is a photo of the boys we have now:

Jamaica line on the left, our hatch on the right:

I think Candy has a very diverse flock! SHe has some amazing possibilities. Personally I would predict the silver base chicks with the blue haze to turn out awesome.
Thanks Kari :) We like the new little dark cockerel with the blue showing on his chick down. He is starting to get a lot of pattern on his breast feathers now. Here are more photos of him:

Baby picture:

Below is the brown one now

Today we took pictures of Wingnut, the beige one with gray diffuse markings as a chick:

what does everyone think about these two? Wingnut is a boy, no doubt. Cocoa? could be? his comb isn't growing as fast for sure. I like their large dark eyes :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom