Iowa Blues

Gray Farms

Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Apr 11, 2016
NW Missouri
As you may or may not know Iowa Blues are an increasingly rare breed. And one of the few US heritage breeds developed here in the Midwest. Being born in the great state of Iowa myself I've always felt an added need to champion the breed. I've raised Iowa Blues for nearly 10 years now. I can't say enough good things about the breed. Any and all other Iowa Blue breeders, owners, and enthusiasts are hear by welcomed into this thread. Please post pics, stories, questions, and your information. Especially if your a dedicated Iowa Blue breeder helping to save this rare Midwestern native.

I encourage any and all Iowa Blue breeders and enthusiasts to join the Iowa Blue Chicken Club. www.iowabluechickenclub.com

Pics to come of my flock.

Why are they not recognized by the apa?

Its quite a process. I think most people think that you develop a new breed that breeds true and you can get them recognized. Not the case at all.

1. You have to have your standard in place. Size, shape, comb type, leg color, weights, varieties, etc...which is in place with the IBCC.

2. You also have to have a certain number of people who have raised Iowa Blues for a certain number of years while having been APA members for a certain number of years. I think its 5 or 7 years I'm not totally sure.

3. You also have to have to have had a certain number of birds in a certain number of shows for a number of years.

So the most difficult part is getting your number of breeders, APA members, and birds in shows to line up.

Last edited:
As of right now I have 1 Iowa Blue cockerel that I pulled from under a broody hen because there was clearly something very wrong at hatch, a bad slipped tendon or brake that I was unable to mend even with wrapping. He has proven to be a very tough little guy though and is now going to be moving to a wonderful little sanctuary with a lovely woman that cares to unwanted and special needs animals.
I got him from a friend that has a beautiful flock of Iowa Blues and this particular instance was a fluke and not genetic. They are working on saving the breed as well. I plan on getting hatching eggs from her again this year! I can't wait! :love

1-17-20 (3).JPG
1-17-20 (6).JPG

He looks to be getting along ok.

Yes, he's doing great now! Other than only having one functioning leg and he hops around because of it, he's a great example of the tenacity of this breed. He wasn't willing to give up so I didn't see a need to stop him from trying!

As you may or may not know Iowa Blues are an increasingly rare breed. And one of the few US heritage breeds developed here in the Midwest. Being born in the great state of Iowa myself I've always felt an added need to champion the breed. I've raised Iowa Blues for nearly 10 years now. I can't say enough good things about the breed. Any and all other Iowa Blue breeders, owners, and enthusiasts are hear by welcomed into this thread. Please post pics, stories, questions, and your information. Especially if your a dedicated Iowa Blue breeder helping to save this rare Midwestern native.

I encourage any and all Iowa Blue breeders and enthusiasts to join the Iowa Blue Chicken Club. www.iowabluechickenclub.com

Pics to come of my flock.
I want to start a flock of Iowa Blues, How do I find true Iowa's as I live in TN and they are not a popular breed around here I would have to order chicks via mail? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I want to start a flock of Iowa Blues, How do I find true Iowa's as I live in TN and they are not a popular breed around here I would have to order chicks via mail? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

The Iowa Blue Chicken Breeders General Chat on Facebook is the clubs page. Most all the clubs members are on there.

Back
Top Bottom