Iron and goslings is there a safe way or healthy to add it.

JRies

Crowing
Jun 7, 2019
Colorado
I have a 4 week old gosling that is getting pale in the beak and the feet. Might be normal since she is out bred but I would like to be on the safe side, Due to the Avian Flue I have kept my babies on lock down so they are not getting to graze or do any of the healthy things they normally would do. Is there a safe way to add Iron to there diet.

I don't thing additional iron is recommended to chickens, or geese, or ducks. I think trace amounts in their feed should be sufficient.
I just checked the label on my Alflock feed bag. Ferrous sulfate is close to the bottom of the list,,, meaning there is very small quantity in the feed. Reason being such,,, is not much of a quantity needed. The peeps that develop these feeds are much more knowledgeable in the flocks' dietary needs than average person.
I would suggest you feed them some leftover green vegetables from grocery store.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Agree with @cavemanrich that your geese would likely benefit from greens to supplement their diet, if you're feeding just formulated feed. If you're not already supplementing niacin (or feeding a waterfowl-specific feed), you may also want to consider adding nutritional yeast to their diet, as well.

Growing fodder is another option for providing supplemental greens. Best of luck!

Agree with @cavemanrich that your geese would likely benefit from greens to supplement their diet, if you're feeding just formulated feed. If you're not already supplementing niacin (or feeding a waterfowl-specific feed), you may also want to consider adding nutritional yeast to their diet, as well.

Growing fodder is another option for providing supplemental greens. Best of luck!
Thank you both they are both supplemented with niacin and on waterfowl food and grit and some wheat grass. The problem with the babies is they are not getting any outdoor time They are all in my covered run. Due to the Avian flue I wanted to keep all the babies off pasture and separate from the main flock so there not getting to do all the things they should for minerals. Only one is looking pastel in the feet and beak.

I can imagine how frustrating it would be having to restrict geese to a run - and how fast they'd go through any grass in there. :hmm If not accompanied by other worrisome symptoms, pallor in the feet and bill isn't necessarily cause for concern. If you search BYC, you'll find a number of threads, like this one, discussing pale feet and bills. There may be some color variation in those areas even among birds of the same breed.

This article may also have some ideas worth consideration.

Kudos for noticing differences among your geese and asking questions. I hope all are healthy and able to go back out on pasture soon - as you know, they love that fresh grass.

Back
Top Bottom