Irritated red eyes (pic) & listless

FarmerChook

Hatching
Dec 30, 2015
Adelaide Hills
Hi forum. My 16 week old French Wheton has this red membrane in both eyes. Not moving around much. Thoughts on the issue and treatment. Haven't separated her yet from the 5 other chooks. Thanks

I would advise separating her immediately. The fact that it's in both eyes rather worries me. These kind of ocular problems can be signs of respiratory disease. However, it could also be a simple eye infection that somehow occurred in both eyes.

Have you recently brought any new birds into your flock? Have you seen any respiratory symptoms such as coughing, sneezing, gurgling, rattling, gasping, or bubbly, gooey, or otherwise irritated eyes on any birds, this one or others?

I would advise purchasing Vetricyn and an antibiotic ointment approved for use in the eyes and applying them to the eyes. You might also consider purchasing an antibiotic powder such as Terramycin, Duramycin, or Gallimycin.

How is the air in your coop? Poor overhead ventilation or high ammonia levels can be a cause of conjunctivitis or eye infection. I would start treating her eyes as Queen Misha has advised, since conjuntivitis can lead to blindness.

Back
Top Bottom