IRS Taxes

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by arabianequine, Jul 31, 2011.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I guess my brother has not had his taxes filed for the last 8 years.....he has a mental disability. His aunt from his dads side not my dad has been caring for him if you call it that. Providing him shelter to take his whole SSI check. He has been working at mcdonalds the last 8 years. He has been living in Alaska and just moved to Washington to live with our mother. Guess who the lucky one is to try and fix all this.....me [​IMG]

2. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    If the only income he has had is social security and McDonald's it shouldn't be that hard to do. The hardest part will be running down the w-2s and the SSA-1099s. Might even get him refunds for those years.

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Has the IRS sent out notices that they're auditing him, or are you trying to head this off? What you do next will depend on that.

4. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:I have not heard of the IRS sending him anything as of yet. Not sure how it came about my mom might of asked him.

Yes that is the only income.

5. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    I was reading last night and seen you can only get a return back for the last 3 years but they will make you pay for all years no matter how far back if you owe. I am not sure if we can explain his handicap and maybe it can be excused. It does not sound right for the IRS to keep money that he paid in if it is his and not theirs?

6. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    How much does he make? It is possible he is not required to file taxes at all.

7. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    He probably was used as a dependent on the other family's taxes, so they could get a bigger refund. And they would be legally allowed to do that, since they in essence cared for him daily. But, if they did, then THEY are responsible for any taxes he had to pay, not him. IF they claimed him, they also had to, buy law, list any income he had.

8. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:Maybe not but he should get back what he paid in and maybe other money. He knows he claimed zero and he says the other family did not claim him. I don't know how much he worked.

9. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:That would be my guess as well. Have you asked if they did so? now several people may flinch at this suggestion, but i'd reccommend calling the IRS hotline # and letting them know the situation. Dependant adult, part time income and SSD, you don't know if he was listed as a dependant or not. and see what they suggest. If they say to file addmended ones now do that, if they can look him up and give you an answer, great. Either way, the stress of not knowing is worse than the solutions.

10. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:Someone can claim someone as a dependent and that person still file their own taxes. I will know more tomorrow hopefully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by