Is 15” too big for nesting box width?

I've never really considered nest box size for my coop😳. Big, small, medium, really small, open, covered, they've all been used the same and loved the same. Plus, if they don't like it, they can change it around themselves :p , some of my hens love to have a nest box that is completely bare. If they don't like it, they'll let you know

We have eight hens that are all laying. They tend to all use one box. But they rotate through all three. Yesterday I found eigh eggs all in one box. Sometimes they wait their turn, occasionally two jam into one box. The boxes are all roughly 13"w X 18"d. When a hen goes broody it is a bit tough to shoo her out. A little more width would proably help given our top only access.

Attachments

• boxes.JPG
    boxes.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 4
Is 15” too big for nesting box width?
No. I grew up on a farm where the hens free ranged. Most laid in the hen house in 12" open topped nests but some would hide nests various places, often in a hay barn. Some of those would squeeze into spaces a lot tighter than many people would think possible. Others would lay right out in the open. People worry about size a lot more than chickens do.

My nests are 16" cubes. My stud spacing made 16" a convenient dimension and if you cut a sheet of plywood or an 8' long board into 16" dimensions it comes out even, no waste. I often see 3 hens crowded into one nest laying eggs while all other nests are empty. Each of us have different chickens and different circumstances. There is no normal.

I'd give them a minimum of 3 nests for 11 hens so 4 nests sounds good. They may only use one of them or the eggs may be scattered around. Most of my hens are OK to share a nest but occasionally I get a nest hog that not only will not share but may take a long time to lay her egg. Too many does not hurt, too few can.

I thought about that, and then if they go Mike Tyson vs each other in there- they will break eggs. I guess that does not happen as much as I read
Most of my broody hens are OK to have another hen lay an egg with them. But most doesn't mean all. Still, the only time I've had problems like that was when a second hen went broody a few days before the first hen was due to hatch. When the second broody heard the chicks peeping she fought the first broody to take over the nest and the eggs. They destroyed half the eggs. So now I do not allow a second broody hen to have access to another broody hen's nest.

That’s that Army in me- do it according to SOP.
When I was in the army many decades ago I remember using FUBAR and SNAFU much more than SOP. Since chickens don't know what is SOP, get ready for the others. It can be a wild ride but a lot of fun.

No. I grew up on a farm where the hens free ranged. Most laid in the hen house in 12" open topped nests but some would hide nests various places, often in a hay barn. Some of those would squeeze into spaces a lot tighter than many people would think possible. Others would lay right out in the open. People worry about size a lot more than chickens do.

My nests are 16" cubes. My stud spacing made 16" a convenient dimension and if you cut a sheet of plywood or an 8' long board into 16" dimensions it comes out even, no waste. I often see 3 hens crowded into one nest laying eggs while all other nests are empty. Each of us have different chickens and different circumstances. There is no normal.

I'd give them a minimum of 3 nests for 11 hens so 4 nests sounds good. They may only use one of them or the eggs may be scattered around. Most of my hens are OK to share a nest but occasionally I get a nest hog that not only will not share but may take a long time to lay her egg. Too many does not hurt, too few can.

Most of my broody hens are OK to have another hen lay an egg with them. But most doesn't mean all. Still, the only time I've had problems like that was when a second hen went broody a few days before the first hen was due to hatch. When the second broody heard the chicks peeping she fought the first broody to take over the nest and the eggs. They destroyed half the eggs. So now I do not allow a second broody hen to have access to another broody hen's nest.

When I was in the army many decades ago I remember using FUBAR and SNAFU much more than SOP. Since chickens don't know what is SOP, get ready for the others. It can be a wild ride but a lot of fun.
This is GREAT information!

Thanks so much.

Hahaha!!!
Yes…how funny. I’ve used those terms many times!!!

I just looked- you are in SE Louisiana?
I am in Prairieville….

What breeds of chickens do you have?

Back
Top Bottom