Is 2 roosters too many?

Flock Runner

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2011
i have two roosters in my flock along with 5 hens(i'm planning on getting more hens in the spring) and have special attachments to both of them.i don't want to get rid of either but I herd it can be hard on the hens. if i were to keep each of them would it be better to isolate each of them with a couple of hens or let each one free range and have the hens penned up? or should i just keep them together as they are because they seem to get along really well. also i don't want to disrupt the pecking order. any suggetions or ideas would be apreciated. also, for those of you who have roosters and hens, what do you do to keep it organized? i don't want to put either by themself. thet're both sweet boys(mostly
lol.png
)
D.gif
+
D.gif
=
jumpy.gif

x2...I have 14 girls and 2 roos...it works great, they each take their own harem and head out to free range...

If you are intent on keeping both, isolate one till you get the other girls...but unless they are grown to POL, your poor extra roo,
will have to wait a while to be integrated back in.

Quote:
you have 6-12! wow....and no bare backs on your hens? no fighting? how old are your hens and roos? Are they breeding yet?

Quote:
you have 6-12! wow....and no bare backs on your hens? no fighting? how old are your hens and roos? Are they breeding yet?

Nope they get along fine. Truthfully I have one rooster that the others know is in charge and the only one I EVER see mate any hens at all. Trust me I spend ALOT of time with them. My roos are all respectful to people and hens.

I just posted "recent pics I took" Some of my roos are in the pics.

Last edited:
A bunch of roosters can get a long and be respectful, yes, but over time trust me - They WILL wear out the feathers on a hen's back, and eventually may cut at her back too.

Because many people don't consider fair ratios or confine their birds in small dirt runs, I've seen a lot of worn out, bare-backed hens before.

Quote:
Well I have had most of them over 2 years together and nothing yet as a matter fact we took the first place ribbon and best of show with hens that are in with these same roosters. My roos are up to 6 years in age. They have shavings mixed with hay in a 12x12 coop. Never a bald but or neck yet. They also free range daily for 3 hours.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom