Is 20% humidity ok for dry hatching eggs?

lawschicks10

Songster
May 19, 2022
:frow I have my hygrometer stuck to the incubator wall for my dry hatch project and it is reading 20% ...is this ok for dry hatching or should I start adding water and increasing?:jumpy

today is day 4 and it is 20% it was 20% yesterday too at day 3?
I started on the 16th and only managed to get my hygrometer on the 18th, and its reading 20%. I was advised to do a dry hatch and its my first go at it so I am a bit worried I am doing it wrong...if I need to add some water to increase it to the 30s then I will :confused:

I started on the 16th and only managed to get my hygrometer on the 18th, and its reading 20%. I was advised to do a dry hatch and its my first go at it so I am a bit worried I am doing it wrong...if I need to add some water to increase it to the 30s then I will :confused:
I would probably leave it with no water for the first week of incubation, then candle and check the size of the aircells. There are charts online of what size they should be at what day of incubation.

If the aircells look the right size, keep doing the same thing and check again a week later, and again at lockdown time.

If the aircells are too big at the end of the first week, raise the humidity the next week (so the aircells do not increase as fast.)

All of the guidelines for what percent humdiity are based on trying to have the egg lose water at the right rate, so the aircell is the right size by hatching time. Having the "wrong" humidity for a few days during the early part of incubation is not a big deal, as long as the overall moisture loss is right by hatching time.

I do wet hatching, which is between 35% - 45% humidity for the first 18 days then boosted to about 55% - 65% humidity for lockdown.

I've never done the dry hatch, but may attempt it this year.

Back
Top Bottom