Is $200 a good price for small, used coop?

KeepsPeeps

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 12, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
Time to pick your brains, BYC folks!

I found someone who is willing to sell me a used coop that could house four chickens (max), but he said it was in "average" condition (which could mean different things to different people) and will just do the job in housing hens. No frills, no bells and whistles, and no exterior nesting box..which I would really love. My gut tells me this guy is trying to take me to the cleaners. Also, he won't even let me stop by just to look at the coop unless I commit to purchasing it beforehand.

The only way I can obtain a coops is by A. buying a new one - which seem to be pricey ($500 and up..YIKES!) and wouldn't even be an option until next year or B. buy a used one and fix it up myself to save money. It would not be wise to try and build something totally on my own - unless Ikea sells coops - as I am very inexperienced in that area.

So the question is, what would you pay for a small used coop? Is $200 too expensive?

That's a little pricey in my area for a used coop. I would pay 150 - 175. However, if it doesn't have some things you really like and the seller sounds like somewhat of a jerk I personally would pass on this.

Hi from Ga. You should be able to buy a good new coop for 4 chickens for $150 t0 $350. Try an internet search you will be surprised with what you can find.

I sure wouldn't buy something without looking it over first. You can get brand new small coops for up to 4 chickens around here for about $250-300. You might ask him if he could email you some pics of it?

Sounds like you need to view this coop, checking out size, construction quality, cleanliness, etc. to help you decide whether or not this is a good price.

Gail

Unfortunately the owner of the coop said I cannot stop by to check out the condition/layout/size. That alone should probably be a red flag. And I've asked for pictures, but he never sent them. That being said, if the price was low enough, I would take just about anything knowing that with TLC I could make a great home for some hens...but it sounds like $200 isn't a low price.

Onward with the coop search, I suppose! Thank you for the opinions and advice!!
big_smile.png

I am very reluctant to buy used poultry equipment of any kind because of the possibility of disease.

$200 is probably a fair price for a small coop in good condition, but I've sure seen a lot of really nasty junk that people are trying to sell as "good condition". So I wouldn't even go to look without seeing a photo and I would not commit to buy nor commit to the price without examining it.

When someone won't allow you to look at an item, I always suspect it is either a scam or it is a stolen item.

It sure surprised me how much it cost me to build my coop. Just the hardware was well over $100. Everything costs so much.

Do your search for "garden sheds" and "potting sheds" in addition to searching on the word Coop. Sometimes some cute little sheds come up for sale for reasonable and it would take very little to fix them up. One of those plastic Rubbermaid garden shed would work well for 2-3 hens, and I see those for cheap. Less than $200.

Also, if all you've got are 2-3 hens, a large dog house would do the job and they are sometimes cheap or even free.

Oregon, you read my mind!
smile.png
After getting frustrated with the price of coops, I began searching for a dog house that I coop out on my own. Also began searching on craigslist for some supplies to cut down on cost and hopefully recycle someone else's junk!

I found a dog house that, with a little insulation and paint, would make a wonderful hen house. The owner even said I could come look at it if I wanted to! Progress!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the ideas!

Back
Top Bottom