Is $3.00 a good price for processing?

Quote:
Chaundry Halal Meats in Siler City.
smile.png

Wow really. I might need to go into backyard processing
gig.gif

I do all my own chicken,duck,quail,pheasant,deer,hog even cows lol
I didnt realize people really paid that kinda price to get a bird cleaned.

Quote:
Yeah. If you hung out a shingle you would get a lot of business. The guy we use does it every Saturday. Usually has about 20 customers with at least 20 birds each. Charges 2.50 per chicken and by the pound for turkeys. He also processes all meat. He has his 2 boys 1 friend and his wife helping. He puts the birds in one of those racks you hang brooms on that holds the broom handles. 5 birds at a time. Cuts their heads off, then he dips all 5 in a restaurant type fryer converted to a scalder, gives them a spin and then slices them open. His 2 boys gut them. His friend cuts off the feet and washes them out with a garden hose and throws them on ice. The wife bags them.

I was first in line and he had 50 birds done in about 10 minutes. Bagged and on the way.

I did 13 at home and it took a while. Had a hard time getting the feathers all the way out and they didn't bleed out as well as the ones he did. I also dunked them in water to wash them out and they don't taste as good as the ones he did. I ended up having DW can the ones I did to make sure any germs I may have left behind were killed.

That's cool that you process everything yourself. Makes it a lot more cost effective.

I sell my birds, so I joined a Co-op for $20 a year. They process the birds for $2.00 each. I was getting them done at a different place last year for 1.80 a bird, but I can't sell birds at a farmer's market through them, so I switched.

Well, considering I wouldn't want to process somebody else's chicken for only $3 dollars, I'd say it sounds pretty reasonable to me...
wink.png

Seriously though, I understand that seems to be about the going rate.

You might be able to negotiate a bulk discount, but I'd imagine that in a slaughterhouse that probably processes a number of birds daily, there would be little incentive to lower what is already in effect a kind of bulk discount--it's probably not as if they are opening the doors just for you...
smile.png
the whole pricing structure is based on processing carcasses in large numbers in the first place, methinks... but maybe I'm wrong...

I feel that is a good price as I co-own a meat shop and charge $3.50 a bird and that includes vac. sealed and fresh or frozen when you pick them. We are a state inspected poultry facility and that is our rate if that is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom