1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is 3 a crowd?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MCbur-burk, Mar 24, 2011.

1. MCbur-burk

MCbur-burk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Wondering if having 3 hens will cause a long disturbance in the pecking order? I already have two somewhere between 4 and 6 months old that may still be determining their pecking order. Any ideas? And, I'm figuring that once I have 3 hens I will eventually want 4...

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Thats chicken math for you. and [​IMG]

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]
    Adding to your flock is fine. I would not worry too much about the pecking order, they will work it out. The only thing you have to do is make sure they are not seriously injuring (drawing blood) one another.

Good luck with your integration. You will be able to get lots of advice here if it does not go smoothly. [​IMG]

4. riverman

riverman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2010
    Central Tx
    Get more! [​IMG] There will always be a pecking order and the chickens you have already will usually always pick on new chickens you get for at least a couple days but as long as they have enough space to run around there wont be any serious problems. What kinds do you have right now?

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Adding to your current flock isn't the problem...stopping is!
    I always buy mine in at least pairs, like the buddy system; at least during the whole pecking order thing, the newest ones will have each other.

6. MCbur-burk

MCbur-burk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    O what a shame, sounds like a good idea to get two more.
    There be one RIR and one light sussex
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. More More More. Adding a couple more will deffinately be entertaining. If you have the space, they will do ok.

8. momtotnt

momtotnt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2011
    I just did this today after reading a lot on these forums. Just as described, there was pecking. I have a 6 mo old Faverolle, & a Polish, and am trying to introduce a 10wk old RIR (I would have preferred older but couldn't find one). My first 2 were raised together & have zero issues with each other.
    As expected, the Polish pecked the new girl right away. I now have her separated in her own section of the run where the original 2 can see her but can't get at her. I figure this will be the set up for the next several weeks.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes!

9. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Three? Four?? Why stop there? You should have at least a dozen!! [​IMG]

10. mchl

mchl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    I take my younger birds and put them in a big cage about 4x4x4 right in the coop with the girls but where they cant get to each other. When they get close to the same size i let the kids out but where the can also get back in away from any meanies and they do great a little pecking but no deaths

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by