Is 3 enough?

A mildly dissenting thought.

3 chickens FOR NOW.

Then, in a year or two, when you know that they're going to slow down their laying, add more chicks.

By then you'll have a better idea of what you like about chickens (and thus what breeds to choose), you'll have your system established, you'll know what kind of housing suits your preferences and your climate, you'll have a good idea of how to handle chicken personality, and you'll be able to keep up a steadier supply of eggs.

People who consider their chickens livestock rather than pets often replace the oldest third of their flock every year.

3 chickens FOR NOW.

Then, in a year or two, when you know that they're going to slow down their laying, add more chicks.
x2. If eggs matter to you, you will have more consistent production if you spread out the ages in your flock. I add a few birds every two years, so I currently have 1, 3 and 5 year old hens. Taking this approach will also give you time to think about chicken math and maybe what the maximum flock size you'd want would be, and to build for that, so you have easier integrations/peace in the flock, and more consistent eggs over a longer period of time.

3 chickens FOR NOW.

By then you'll have a better idea of what you like about chickens (and thus what breeds to choose), you'll have your system established, you'll know what kind of housing suits your preferences and your climate, you'll have a good idea of how to handle chicken personality, and you'll be able to keep up a steadier supply of eggs.

People who consider their chickens livestock rather than pets often replace the oldest third of their flock every year.
Thanks 3KillerBs...I very well may end up doing just that if for no other reason than timing...I've got a trip scheduled in Sept and so don't have the time to raise chicks and get them in to coop and safely integrated, I don't think and just can't figure out how/where to quarantine pullets for a month...The 3 girls seem to be quite content without the boys (they are quiet and just going about their day) So, we'll see. Thanks for your input...I'm not sure how I'll feel about these lovely creatures in a year...livestock vs pets...eating them just doesn't seem...right but hey, ya never know. Finding a new home maybe...

x2. If eggs matter to you, you will have more consistent production if you spread out the ages in your flock. I add a few birds every two years, so I currently have 1, 3 and 5 year old hens. Taking this approach will also give you time to think about chicken math and maybe what the maximum flock size you'd want would be, and to build for that, so you have easier integrations/peace in the flock, and more consistent eggs over a longer period of time.
Thanks! I am, actually, thinking about how I can add another coop and extend the run and link them all together....in a manner that won't break the bank or blow my husbands mind :) I thought the most I wanted was 4...built for 5 and ended up with those roo's...so now at 3 (we are a family of 4 so probably the 3 will give us enough eggs but 4/5 would absolutely give us the eggs we need) But I'm thinking about this...we'll see :)

Thanks! I am, actually, thinking about how I can add another coop and extend the run and link them all together....in a manner that won't break the bank or blow my husbands mind :) I thought the most I wanted was 4...built for 5 and ended up with those roo's...so now at 3 (we are a family of 4 so probably the 3 will give us enough eggs but 4/5 would absolutely give us the eggs we need) But I'm thinking about this...we'll see :)

There's nothing lost in taking your time to figure out what does and doesn't work for YOU.

Chicken math is already at work on you! ;) Your first chicks will always be special to you, in my opinion. My husband, not a big fan of the chickens at first, is now against my culling some older girls who are not doing their job. We got new chicks this spring, now he says, OK, lets get rid of no tail no lay hen! The new chicks are not as special, now, either! :lau
Some hens are just not as good a layer as others. (He still will not eat those birds, though).
I love the electric netting from Premier1. You can change the run so easily. You can split the run, or make it bigger. Extra posts are $2.00 at TSC.
For a family of 4, you might want as many as 8 hens, once you get to loving eating those home-grown eggs! I gave one of my neighbors 5 pullets, that seems to be enough eggs for their family of 2 adults & 1 small girl. Welcome to our world of chickens! I plan to get new chicks every spring, every year of my life for the remaining years granted to me! I love chicks! So, you might want to wait and get new chicks next spring, as some others have recommended here.;)
As far as heat goes: I am a former Californian from Riverside,CA. Hotter than you. I used misters when I lived there, back in the 80's! Now, it is hotter. I did not have chickens for many years because we lived in Palm Desert, too hot. We moved to Prescott, AZ. Now I have chickens again and I love it! But, the heat tolerant birds I got from a breeder member in Phoenix, are my best layers this hot summer. Never skipped a day, which my other birds have. I would recommend that you look into the Naked Neck birds. They are very hardy, heat and cold. @BlueBaby bred my best girls, big green eggs and lots of them! Here are some photos of them as chicks and adults.

Attachments

• NN 4weeks.jpg
    NN 4weeks.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4763.JPG
    IMG_4763.JPG
    738.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5351.JPG
    IMG_5351.JPG
    629.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom