is 30 days too young to put outside permanently?

Glad you came to a compromise but I think they would be fine. I am no professional but my chicks have been outside since I got them. We have 6 that I think are about a 2 weeks old maybe 3 weeks (not sure how old they were when I bought them) We put them in an old rabbit cage with a heat lamp and they are all doing great! Good luck to you!

chicks are naturally "born outside", but they are also naturally "raised by a mama" outside.
Not always. My chicks have been raised for years outside without a mama. As are many, many chicks.

I bet the chicks your grandparents raised, in the past, were being raised by a hen.

Not necessarily. My 96-year old Grandma remembers as a child, her mother incubating chicks in an incubator.

So, since they don't have a hen to "show them the ropes" and keep them warm, it isn't crazy to be a little cautious when it is still early spring and cooler.
Chicks manage to figure things out pretty quickly. Mine are two weeks old this weekend. I put fresh straw down for them the other day, and they went crazy scratching and pecking all by themselves. Not to mention, they figured out the food and water almost immediately after I put them in the coop at 2-3 days old.

That being said, you are in a pretty warm area, so they would be fine with a heat lamp at night for a couple of weeks and then without any added heat after that.
They're a month old. They're pretty much feathered out now, and will be just fine. Especially with the temps the OP is having right now.

All that being said, OP - you need to get that coop secured and get those babies out of the house for your grandparents' sake. They did you a big favor letting you have them inside as long as they did. They didn't have to do that for you so you need to do as they ask now. It's the right, respectful thing to do.
Good luck!

well is it gets below 60 to 50 i wouldnt do it ( it takes some time before they can regulate there own body heat so .....

Last edited:
Similar couple of questions, as I was thinking about moving my 5 week old girls outside this weekend. I can provide a heat lamp, so I am not worried about them getting too cold. But I am curious about how to introduce them to the coop and run. I read on BYC to close them in the coop for a week or so, so that they become familiar with it. Is that really necessary or can I let them into their run during the day? Also, my coop sits approx. 3 feet off of the ground, above the run area. We have a ladder that will allow them to go back and forth, but how do I get them to use it? (I feel so stupid asking that question, but honestly want to know so my pride is being set aside!)

Keeping them in the coop helps them to learn it to be a safe place. As for the ladder, they will figure it out. If you want to encourage the process, find a way to lead them to it and up it, using treats. Once the first chick learns, the others will do the same. Another idea would be to lay a ramp for them to use, Remember, anything new is regarded with suspicion at first.

Back
Top Bottom