Is 6 weeks too early to put out in the coop? It is hot here.

astylishgirl

Animal Lover Supreme
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
I put my little 6 week old chickens out in their new coop today. They are such babies! They won't get on their roost and are halfway peeping and somewhat talking in big chicken. I just went and checked on them and they were piled in a corner sleeping.

Is it too early? I thought they were sick of the brooder and it is plenty warm here. Upper 90's.

Mine are 5 weeks and I put them out a little over a week ago. I live in MA and the day temps have been 70's mostly. Nights get down to 50's, so I have the heat lamp on still. They seem to be doing fine. I think as long as it doesn't get too cool at night (which it sounds like it won't), you should be all set....
Congratulations on the big move!
clap.gif

They can definitely go out if it's in the 90's there! I'm putting mine out next week, at 4 weeks old, it's in the 90's here too. Mine have been spending the day outside for the last week and hate to come back in at night!

6 weeks .. and now I feel bad. I was just mentioning to DH that these chick-zillas (Black Copper Marans) were roosting on the side of their brooder and at 2 weeks surely they will be fine! LOL

Then he reminded me of the "snattle rakes" and what could happen to my poor poor babies!

I bet in Beaumont they will be fine!

My last two hatches have went directly into the brooders in one of my coops at 2 days old. I do have a low wattage heat lamp that comes on for them at night but during the day....high 80's and into the 90's they are fine without it. The last couple of days have been cooler so I have had the heat lamp on during the day too. I have some that are almost 6 weeks and they haven't had a heat lamp at all for almost 2 weeks. Have yours been without a light at all? If they haven't, it may be more being in the dark rather than being cold

I would have put them out weeks ago with the heat we are having. In fact, mine were brooded outside.
It's new to them so they are a little chicken, pardon the pun.
They'll get over their nervousness in a few days and I promise you one thing. You'll be amazed at how much they thrive and grow now that they are out of the brooder.

I put mine out to the coop at 3 weeks. It's about 70 during the day. They have a heat lamp which I now put on a timer because it's sometimes too warm. Depending on the temps, I have it on an hour and off for 1/2 an hour. It keeps the temperature pretty well.

They also have a night light which goes on when the heat lamp goes off. They don't want to be in the dark yet!

I also have a baby monitor set up and listen to them all day so I know they're all OK.

I even listen at night to be SURE no predators get in there although my husband assures me his coop is predator proof.

On nice sunny days I open the pop door and they jump right out and LOVE digging around the run. I round them up and put them in mid-afternoon and they all nap. Then I'll let them out again for awhile.

I just worry....
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom