Is 9 degrees too cold for 5-week old turkey poults

luludaxia

Chirping
Sep 14, 2016
I have 2 turkey poults that are 5-week old now. They are in a brooder, but they begin to bulley chicks that are smaller than them. I throw them into the barn this morning, which is not heated. They are fine there all day, in the evening I feel it is cold, about 9 degrees Celsius now. I am afraid they will be too cold and want to take them back to room temperature. But I only found one now. Another one I tried several times and cannot find. He may have to spend his night in the barn. Will he be frozen to death there?

When I first saw the title I thought you meant Fahrenheit and was about to say yes thats too cold lol BUT. Google says that's 48.2 degrees Fahrenheit which imo is plenty warm enough, especially for poults who are bigger than chicks, so I wouls honestly just leave them both out there

When I first saw the title I thought you meant Fahrenheit and was about to say yes thats too cold lol BUT. Google says that's 48.2 degrees Fahrenheit which imo is plenty warm enough, especially for poults who are bigger than chicks, so I wouls honestly just leave them both out there
:lau me too

My thermometer in the barn actually says its 12 degrees celsius, that is 53.6 Farenheit, so I don't need to worry about coldness? Only I don't know how he just disappeared while running around, I searched every corner. My barn are animal proof, no animals bigger than a little mouse can get in, so maybe he will be safe there.

I don't think so, that's pretty warm especially for a 5 week old turkey. But I suppose it depends on how feathered they are too. But if you really can't find him, he stands a better chance with a friend to snuggle with so I'd leave them both. But people put little chicks out in colder so I would try not to worry too much. :)

And yes he should be safe in there if he is in there

Back
Top Bottom