Is a 24x24 window enough ventliation????

It sounds like you are going to have a lot of chickens in there, in which case, 1'x2' is not even *close* to enough.

Surely you're not going to have wall cages on all 4 walls, thus you could have at least one of them consist largely of openings (with flaps or whatever to close them down when needed). Also you can put vents up at the eaves or atop the walls, protected by the roof overhang; even if you have to shut some down in the coldest windiest weather if there's a cage hanging right below them, or something like that, you will get good benefit from them most of the time.

Seriously, if you do not put a LOT more ventilation in there you will be looking at significant problems with stink and air-quality and (in cold weather) frostbite and (in summer) overheating.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Ok then woudl I be better off not sealing the eaves in? here is a pic
eves.jpg

I woudl imagine that is far better then a bunch of windows. And in the winter I can plug it up with insulation?

And in the winter I can plug it up with insulation?

You still need the ventilation in the Winter.
Chickens can handle cold weather as long as the are out of drafts and wetness​

The open eaves will help a good bit. I think you will still want more ventilation than that, though. I suppose if you are really hardcore about wanting to use every square inch of wall space for cages you could TRY just going with whatcha got... but I would be pretty surprised if by February, or next August, you are not either a) posting to Emergencies and Diseases or b) removing some cages and cutting new large holes in the walls after all.

You won't be wanting to close those open eaves off during the winter, btw, except potentially temporarily closing the upwind side in a very windy cold spell. You need ventilation in the winter at least as much as you do in the summer -- let that coop air get humid in the winter (which it naturally tends to, because chickens put off SO much water vapor) and that's a recipe for frostbite even at pretty mild temperatures. Chickens are better off in cold dry air than in less-cold but clammy/frosty/condensate-y air.

If you haven't yet, you might want to check outmy ventilation page (link below in .sig) which has more about the subject.

Good luck, ahve fun,

Pat

Just went out and put in a second window.. I will also have a fan running 24/7.. Looking for a fan to suit my needs as I do not want it blowing directly on the chickens.

So with the 2 windows, eaves open and a fan going woudl you say i am good?

It's sure not how I'd do it, neither the simplest nor IMO the healthiest arrangement. You can try it with the fan (as long as your power supply is 'on') and see how it works for you, though.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom