Is a butterfly bush okay to be in a chicken run?

A lot of the plants on the toxics list are only toxic if they eat them. If that is the only green thing in with them, they will eat it. If they have plenty of other good stuff, there is a good chance they won't eat enough to hurt them.
I had a hen that spent years camped under a hydrangea bush, but she was free range and was just using it for shade. Many years later I read that it was toxic. The main thing is that they have enough else around so they aren't desperate enough to eat the bad plants. Also some are stupider than others...
Can't help with the butterfly bush. I have one or two around but not in my run.
Sorry

So invasive Portland has added them to the cities illegal to have in your garden list.
ep.gif

Like that's going to help. Where there was ever one, there are hundreds or thousands within wind distance.

They are pretty, smell lovely, and not on my personal toxic list, but you would need to find your own sources to verify that. If you don't already have one you can't get rid of..you have been warned. Many have been tricked, thinking they would be able to keep things in check.

What happened to me was I planted mine when I was young and inexperienced. Recently I was on a ladder and could see the results as far as my eye could see..in many, many places. So it seems I was part of the problem. And that weighs on me.
hit.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
We made the mistake one year of putting thru the shredder/chipper and using it for mulch....pulled up hundreds of little butterfly bushes in the spring. I have one butterfly bush and my chickens don't appear to have bothered it.....hostas, on the other hand, are a whole nother subject.

Quote:
We made the mistake one year of putting some of it thru the shredder/chipper and using it for mulch....pulled up hundreds of little butterfly bushes in the spring. I have one butterfly bush and my chickens don't appear to have bothered it.....hostas, on the other hand, are a whole nother subject.

Last edited:
Through a chipper ! Ugg....

As gardeners we need to be aware of what becomes out of our control , but that started with us. That's where I feel so bad.
http://www.portlandonline.com/bes/index.cfm?c=45696

What is common to all definitions is that invasive species are plants and animals that can displace native species and have long-lasting or even permanent negative effects on habitats and the organisms that depend on them.

Next to outright land conversion, invasive species are the most serious threats to biodiversity. Invasive species alter landscapes and fundamental ecosystem processes. They decrease biodiversity and damage infrastructure. In an urbanized and fragmented area, invasive species threaten remaining habitats and human health and well-being.

The butterfly bush is is the same category as our ivy and Himalayan blackberries.​

I have a butterfly bush in our run area. They use it mostly for shade and i do see them pecking at the lower leaves . They are ok no problems with them being sick . Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom