Is a chicken plucker worth it?

BYCforlife

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Mar 18, 2017
Canada
I found a brand new poultry plucker for sale on a buy and sell website. (NOT a shady website.)
It's $400, and I see they normally sell for $500 to $700. Of course I would test to see if it works before buying, and will ask their reason for selling.

My question is, though, do you think a plucker is worth it? I would be butchering around 50 birds a year for myself. My friend has a scalding pot they are willing to sell for cheap, so I'm interested in buying a plucker.
Also, I would possibly be butchering extra roosters at odd times of the year.

If you can afford it, have room to store it conveniently and it works, I'd get it. Anything to make life easier. Storage is my thing-if it's too hard to get it out and set up, then I won't use it.

For the amount of birds you are going to be butchering. Definitely worth it. Saves a lot of time.
I bought a yardbird plucker at tsc. Good for 2 chickens at a time.

Looking at a bigger one to do turkeys.

50 birds at once by yourself? Yes, get the plucker.

Doing 10 or less by yourself 5 times a year. Maybe.

50 with a whole lot of help, maybe.

How much do you like hand picking? One day I will meet someone who enjoys it. You could be the first!

If you can afford it, have room to store it conveniently and it works, I'd get it. Anything to make life easier. Storage is my thing-if it's too hard to get it out and set up, then I won't use it.
I have a 2,400 square foot shop, with lots of storage room, and a very large enclosed shed too. I will probably buy one, then. Thanks!

For the amount of birds you are going to be butchering. Definitely worth it. Saves a lot of time.
I bought a yardbird plucker at tsc. Good for 2 chickens at a time.

Looking at a bigger one to do turkeys.
Good to know, thanks! I'm probably going to get the 13 Kilogram plucker.

50 birds at once by yourself? Yes, get the plucker.

Doing 10 or less by yourself 5 times a year. Maybe.

50 with a whole lot of help, maybe.

How much do you like hand picking? One day I will meet someone who enjoys it. You could be the first!
Sounds good! :D

I've actually never done it. Other parts of the process, yes, but my friends did the plucking. I could try one just to make you happy... :pop

I hand plucked chickens for my first two years of raising Cornish X. Year three I build a plucker" and have not looked back. The best I could do hand plucking was about 20 minutes a bird (yep, I'm slow :)) - with the plucker it is about 20 seconds per bird! For me it was money well spent.

Back
Top Bottom