Is a muscovy A good duck?

Muscovys are very hard ducks that require minimal care. They are also very efficient at reproduction and it's not uncommon for a hen to have 2-3 clutches a year. They can fly and usually do a good job or escaping predators, but are also docile and calm, eating from our hands.

Does anyone know where I can get muscovys?
There are a few large hatcheries that sell ducklings. Everyone sells white ones and they are unsexed. However, metzer is going to be selling black ones. If you want sexed Muscovy, you will need to find a local breeder and either get sex-linked ones, or wait till they old enough to sex. You can also probably get some hatching eggs from someone. Your best luck is to wait till spring when everyone is hatching.

You will need a plan for extra drakes, as they can be difficult to rehome. And breeding them can quickly get out of hand for some people.

There are a few large hatcheries that sell ducklings. Everyone sells white ones and they are unsexed. However, metzer is going to be selling black ones. If you want sexed Muscovy, you will need to find a local breeder and either get sex-linked ones, or wait till they old enough to sex. You can also probably get some hatching eggs from someone. Your best luck is to wait till spring when everyone is hatching.

You will need a plan for extra drakes, as they can be difficult to rehome. And breeding them can quickly get out of hand for some people.
Do you know anywhere where I could get black and white or brown and white muscovys? Or is there a way I could breed them to get that color?

So I'm thinking about getting some muscovy ducks but would like to know more about them! Do the hens go broody once a year? Are they friendly? Can they live with my other ducks? The breeds are KC hookbill and a pekins (the pekins lives alone because of his leg problem)
Pekins are good animals not really concerned a duck but that's beside point. They live well with ducks and chickens. They will get to the point they will follow u around if you work with them enough. I've got 2, 4 month old ducks. Khaki Campbell/ runner and a runner/Anacona that jump right up into my arms. They walk into the house on their own. Come in eat some dog food have some water and some peas. Then they need around for awhile, then they wonder on down the hall way into the bathroom for a tubby. I love my babies

Pekins are good animals not really concerned a duck but that's beside point. They live well with ducks and chickens.
Do you mean muscovy? As pekins are mallard derived ducks. Muscovy are ducks just not from the mallard line. Musvovy are a type of wood duck. A lot of blogs spread misinformation. There are other species of ducks that do not come from mallard lineage.

Oh really that's neat to know. And yes I meant muscovy lol. To early
Yeah, I get the too early. :caf 😁
Muscovy are the only domesticated duck not from the mallard lineage and that's probably why the information gets mixed. People keep and domesticate other breeds of ducks as well (such as wood ducks), but those breeds are considered wild. There are wild muscovy too. Plus, they have some shared traits with geese, but even the "regular" ducks share similar traits. I can see how the message becomes mixed. We can all probably agree that they are waterfowl. 😂

Muscovys are very hard ducks that require minimal care. They are also very efficient at reproduction and it's not uncommon for a hen to have 2-3 clutches a year. They can fly and usually do a good job or escaping predators, but are also docile and calm, eating from our hands.
do you mean hardy ducks or hard ducks? Sorry!!

Back
Top Bottom