Is a pekin and a cochin the same thing?

FarmersHatchery

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 3, 2012
West Central Missouri
I raise bantam cochins and for a while now I've seen pictures of birds that look just like cochins, but they are called Pekins. Are they the same breed, or do they just look alike? I think Pekins are what cochins are called over in Europe maybe?

From what I've read, that is exactly right. However, there are some breeds that Europeans have different sets of standards for than the US. Not sure if the Pekin standard is different from the Cochin.

It depends on who you ask, actually. To most people, it's the same. To the more hardcore breeders, absolutely they are not the same.

Pekins do not have a standard size, they are true bantams. While Cochins do have a LF size.

The Pekin standard also stipulates very precise degree of tail carriage that the Cochin standard does not have (I believe it is higher carriage, but don't quote me).

Everything else is a matter of much debate in the Pekin community. I don't think it's as much of a controversy storm as EE/Ameraucana stuff. But, you know what happens when us chicken people get all passionate about our chickens :p.

Cochin Bantams and Pekins are essentially the same breed, they are just called Cochin Bantams here and Pekins in Europe, Australia, and other countries. They are basically the same bird, but each country has its own written description of what each breed should look like, just like here in the US with the SOP and BSOP. The main difference is that they are to be smaller replicas of LF Cochins, where as Pekins have no large counter-part, they are a true bantam.

~Casey

Im pretty sure they are the same thing. I have heard people talking about pekin chickens and didnt know what they were I only knew about pekin ducks. They seem the same as cochins to me

Back
Top Bottom