Is a quail hatchery a thing?

Why don't you buy a cheap incubator and a dozen eggs. It would be cheaper then a hundred eggs. And you can later sell the incubator
A cheap incubator likely won't work that great and you won't be able to get very much money out of it if you do sell it again. I'm not sure why you would sell it if you don't have another. There's no harm in keeping it. Asking a friend to either hatch your eggs for you or let you borrow their incubator would be better.

Why don't you buy a cheap incubator and a dozen eggs. It would be cheaper then a hundred eggs. And you can later sell the incubator

I bought a cheap incubator (ergh), tweaked it with a fan (yay) and spent a total $80. Results were excellent after adding the fan. Would never recommend buying a still air incubator alone, even if cheap. However, I agree with @Quail 66 that incubation might be the way to go for both $ and chick safety.

Here's my post on tweaking the cheap incubator. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...le-giant-still-air-incubator-9300-hack.76242/

Local purchases are also good. Check your area and check Craigslist too.

This is a dumb question, but I’ve heard of broody hens hatching ducklings, could they hatch quail too? Or would that be too dangerous because quail are so little? If it makes a difference the broody would be a teeny tiny bantam.

A cheap incubator likely won't work that great and you won't be able to get very much money out of it if you do sell it again. I'm not sure why you would sell it if you don't have another. There's no harm in keeping it. Asking a friend to either hatch your eggs for you or let you borrow their incubator would be better.
I wouldn't sell it either, just in case you get bored. I bought my first 3 quails and I huched their eggs in a borrowed incubator. But when I bought them I didn't know a friend of mine had an incubator. But it's still the cheepest solution. Where you will put 100 birds. Even my Diy cage costed 50 euros. ( I want so much to hatch some more. Some of my hens are laying but the males stopped mating for the winter)

I wouldn't sell it either, just in case you get bored. I bought my first 3 quails and I huched their eggs in a borrowed incubator. But when I bought them I didn't know a friend of mine had an incubator. But it's still the cheepest solution. Where you will put 100 birds. Even my Diy cage costed 50 euros. ( I want so much to hatch some more. Some of my hens are laying but the males stopped mating for the winter)
Don’t worry I have no plans to buy 100 birds. That’s too many for my wants. Unfortunately buying an incubator just isn’t an option. I could post on my local Facebook group to see if anyone could lend me one I suppose.

I bought a cheap incubator (ergh), tweaked it with a fan (yay) and spent a total $80. Results were excellent after adding the fan. Would never recommend buying a still air incubator alone, even if cheap. However, I agree with @Quail 66 that incubation might be the way to go for both $ and chick safety.

Here's my post on tweaking the cheap incubator. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...le-giant-still-air-incubator-9300-hack.76242/

Local purchases are also good. Check your area and check Craigslist too.
I sprayed them with water and about 30% Listerine. Why 2 fans? Mine has one

This is a dumb question, but I’ve heard of broody hens hatching ducklings, could they hatch quail too? Or would that be too dangerous because quail are so little? If it makes a difference the broody would be a teeny tiny bantam.
People have done this before but I personally wouldn’t because quail and chickens can give each other diseases through poo and alike. They also need different food to chickens and quail grow up fast and your broody would probably be confused about size and might want to keep them because they’re small and chick-pullet age (for chickens) even though they’re adults (for quail) if that makes sense. :)

I sprayed them with water and about 30% Listerine. Why 2 fans? Mine has one
I debated Listerine or hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide was what was available in my cabinet. From what I hear, either is excellent.

Why 2 fans? The Amazon order came with two and they both fit. I figured it would create more cross current with both inside. I think the main thing is that the heat is evenly distributed and constant. Just one would probably have worked as well too.

Well the first thing I would do is check Craigslist. Just make sure the quail and their set ups look healthy and clean.

Would you be able to get an incubator? You could always search for people selling eggs.
Buying an incubator isn’t an option, however, I may be able to ask on my local poultry Facebook group if anyone had one I could borrow.

Back
Top Bottom