Is a run recommended for free range chickens?

Holmes' Homestead :

Thanks to everyone for the advise. It looks like I have something else to build then, this it turning into exhausting work. I'm enjoying it, but I've had a tough time finding coop plans that are big enough. It looks like I'm going to adjust some plans I've found and work with that. I work from home, so even though I won't be watching them all day, I will still be around. I'm sure it's in one of the books I have and I haven't quite come to that point yet, but how high does one suggest having the run?

mine will be high enough for my children to chase the chickens for me. heh.​

Thanks for all the great suggestions and comments on what you do. I'd like to have a roof tall enough on the run for me to walk in, but that may come at a later point. For now, I guess I'll plan on building a run for them, and like Mikey suggested, change it, modify it, improve it...

I'm planning on building a 10x16' walk-in coop (kind of ambitious of me) for 25 birds and storage. I'm building it larger than the minimum 4 sq. ft. per bird rule because I'd like to store some things in there as well, as have the possibility to grow my flock in the future if need be. I'm just praying for an early Spring so the snow melts and the ground thaws so I can get to work!

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I free range mine but I do have a run to keep the birds in if I have too. I have a coop inside a pen and if I have some hens that need to be away from the others I can just close the door and they can go in the coop or around the pen if they want. Or I can just leave the door open. It's nice to have.

Back
Top Bottom