Is a simple door latch safe for a chicken coop?

Excellent point! And furring strips are very affordable in case you're budget conscious. Definitely make sure your swivel hasp has enough room by adding more wood. I think someone may have already said, but it bears repeating.

Yeah I think the coop is made that there are two pieces of wood for every side and a piece of hardware cloth inserted between them. I can jiggle the hardware cloth between the two pieces of wood, so I don't think it's attached at all. I've tried pulling it out a bit just to test its strength and it seems secure between those two pieces of wood.

If you think of the whole structure as a coop, and keep the 'dog house' doors opened all the time, it's good. In winter, wrap all but the south side of the 'run' with sheet vinyl to keep out wind and snow.
The hardware cloth attachments concern me too. Screws every few inches through the wood 'sandwich' will add strength to the attachments, everywhere. Raccoons and dogs are very strong!!!
Having the whole thing inside another fence, as an electric fence, or dog kennel panels, will help too.
Mary

Ok guys I found some carabiners to secure the latches at night while my latches ship. Do you guys mind giving me some additional feedback?
20200808_180727.jpg

Ok guys I found some carabiners to secure the latches at night while my latches ship. Do you guys mind giving me some additional feedback?View attachment 2282833
::thumbsup Don’t forget to put one on the nest box too, and any where else that opens. Leave the uposts, but switch the plastic fence for something more sturdy like more hardware cloth or welded wire rolled fencing, with a top, if you can manage it.

::thumbsup Don’t forget to put one on the nest box too, and any where else that opens. Leave the uposts, but switch the plastic fence for something more sturdy like more hardware cloth or welded wire rolled fencing, with a top, if you can manage it.

Got it, I'm planning a big project soon, thanks for your help!

Ok guys I found some carabiners to secure the latches at night while my latches ship. Do you guys mind giving me some additional feedback?
Nice that those latches have the holes for caribineers.

What is that white box on coop roof?

I would start planning to build a big coop and covered run, and save this little one for an isolation coop.

Welcome to BYC! @ericlw55555
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1597272573663.png

Nice that those latches have the holes for caribineers.

What is that white box on coop roof?

I would start planning to build a big coop and covered run, and save this little one for an isolation coop.

Welcome to BYC! @ericlw55555
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2287739
Thank you aart! Yes, I am definetely planning a project for a bigger coop so I can get my flock size to around 8 hens (no roosters allowed in my area) and not worry about hawks or raccoons. The hard part for my yard is that it is not particularly big b/c I live in a suburban area and the area not covered my cement is a bit curved as well. Do you guys mind giving me some advice on where/how I can build it?

The thing on top of the coop is a brick, like the ones that my coop is sitting on. It's there because the top of the coop opens up for cleaning and I'm afraid that a super smart predator can open it up and get my chickens at night, because it does not have any latch on it.

Back
Top Bottom