Is a Tendency to Pasty Butt Heritable?

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I wanted a cockerel and it looks like I could have 2-4 of them in my Ideal Dozen. One of them is the Langhan we've named En Croute because (s)he had persistent pasty butt when young. Is a tendency to pasty butt heritable or was it just a matter or random bad luck?

I wouldn't want to breed health problems into my flock but I also don't want to unnecessarily constrain my choice of eventual flockmaster.

You know i believe it might be genetic in some cases. It could have intestinal problems. I ordered eggs and incubated them earlier this year two cockerels and two pullets. My mother wanted the cockerels for meat so I gave her both. One of them had pasty butt at an early age. Now has loose stools feed the same food and everything the brother is just fine. So it might be genetic or egg storage. When I ordered the eggs they got stuck in transit during a snow storm makes you wonder.

Last edited:
I believe pasty butt is conditional not generic… I know that too high temps with no cool area can be an issue as well as poor diet / lack of water. So IMO no it’s not generic it’s situational. I’ve noticed that most of the chicks I buy and transport develop this and I believe it’s due to stress; I recently incubated s bunch of chicks but immediately moved them to the coop so there was no stressful transport day; no pasty butt from any of them. Same with the chicks hatched by my broody - perfect little fluffy butts.

I believe pasty butt is conditional not generic… I know that too high temps with no cool area can be an issue as well as poor diet / lack of water. So IMO no it’s not generic it’s situational. I’ve noticed that most of the chicks I buy and transport develop this and I believe it’s due to stress; I recently incubated s bunch of chicks but immediately moved them to the coop so there was no stressful transport day; no pasty butt from any of them. Same with the chicks hatched by my broody - perfect little fluffy butts.

Thank you.

It was hot the week they were transported, warm enough that Ideal didn't add any packing peanuts. Almost all of them had it but it only persisted in one of them.

Thank you.

It was hot the week they were transported, warm enough that Ideal didn't add any packing peanuts. Almost all of them had it but it only persisted in one of them.
Yea I would get backed up too if someone shoved me in a dark box and drove me around lol.
This is exactly why I keep my broodies - when they hatch chicks there never any issues!

I think it has more to do with the heat of the brooder. If the light is off them and they need to snuggle to stay warm and they are more busy they seem to do better than a super warm brooders where they lay around all day

I think it has more to do with the heat of the brooder. If the light is off them and they need to snuggle to stay warm and they are more busy they seem to do better than a super warm brooders where they lay around all day

My concern was that this one bird had it so much more than the others. I wouldn't want him to pass it on. :)

Back
Top Bottom