Pasty Butt Confusion

abrehm

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 13, 2015
Hello All,
First time chick-mom here. I have four new chicks, 2 Maran Cuckoos and 2 Ameracaunas and they all seem to be in good spirits and good health. I observe them playing with one another, cuddling, eating a lot, drinking a lot. They all seem active and healthy, except ones vent. One of my Maran Cuckoos, Sylvia, seemed to have pasty butt. I watched a couple tutorials on how to ease her conditions using warm water, q-tips, towels, vaseline, and patience. I was able to remove the hardened clot over her vent yesterday morning but was unable to remove the actual hardened clump of poop and feathers that is now sticking straight out from about 1/2" below her vent.
I can confirm she is able to use her vent to poop and it does not continue to build up, but there is still this dangling clump. Also, her whole vent area is now bare and pink because of the feathers lost to the clump, I assume.

I'm concerned that this might be an umbilical issue, like it did not detach correctly and has hardened? I'm afraid to continue to attempt to remove the clump, in case it is actually a healing scab over a wound?
Any help would be appreciated, I just want to make my little chick healthy!

Attachments

• IMG_2627.jpg
    IMG_2627.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 40
It could be the umbilical cord. Sometimes it can appear as stuck feces which is possible. Pulling or trying to remove "feces" isnt a good idea when they are chicks.
It might be best to wait about one week and soak the area with an old warm wet wash rag to soften it up and gently try to remove the feces if that's what it is. It should start to dissolve and break apart with the soaked rag.

Here is a photo of poor little Sylvia Broodlebottom's vent area.

Thank you for the replies so far. Hopefully this photo provides more context for those wishing to help us out.

Attachments

• IMG_2627.jpg
    IMG_2627.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 32

Back
Top Bottom