Is a week enough?

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
I suspect I know the answer, but here goes.

I have some eggs in an incubator and tomorrow is day 18. Today, one of my hens is broody. She hasn't laid an egg in a week or more, but laid one yesterday, and the last two days she's been hissing and sticking to her nest.

That's a really short time. Can I introduce the chicks to her after they hatch, or does she need to be broody longer?

You can always try it. But to increase your chances of success, it's best to introduce new chicks to a broody much closer to the time the eggs she would have sat on would be hatching, that is, closer to the third week of being broody and sitting a nest.

How many eggs are there? I agree that the more broody time, the better, but you never know. You could give her one egg, or one new chick (at dusk) and see what her reaction is. I gave chicks to a 2 week broody. When I put one under her, she began clucking in a motherly way and shifted around to make proper room. So I gave her the rest, and success. But it doesn’t always work this way. A hen can try to kill them as well. The hormones have to be ready.

7 eggs, and as of this morning they all look good.

It may be a moot point. She slept on her nest last night but left it this morning to go forage with the flock. I'll check to see if she's back when I leave in a few minutes.

It would be best to discourage her then, if she’s that easily drawn away wanting to be w the flock.

Back
Top Bottom