Is a year a long wait for an egg?

charlies

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 26, 2009
Wanganui
We bought two barred about 6 months ago. They were reportedly 5 or 6 months old then and sold as pullets. However, despite growing much bigger (at least a third taller and fatter) so far we have had no sign of eggs. They both have quite red combs and appear healthy in all respects.

any advice?? will they have to go to the pot??

I don't recognize where you're located based on your city. A year is an excessive time to wait, especially on a production breed like a barred rock.

Some questions:

1. Is it possible these birds were way older than you were told?
2. Can they be hiding eggs from you?
3. Are they females?
4. Are they eating their eggs?
5. Do they have ample food, water, oyster shell or calcium, and daylight?

that is a long time to wait for eggs. I would guess they were not six months when you got them. Normal laying is about 26-30 weeks. I think it is highly unusual if they dont lay at all. I am not sure that a late starter means they wont be great layers in the long run. I have some Jersey giant crosses that are about 36 months and they have not started. That is a little late also, but I am sure they will start soon

I bet yours will be fine

Hi,

don't recognize where you're located based on your city. A year is an excessive time to wait, especially on a production breed like a barred rock.

Some questions:

1. Is it possible these birds were way older than you were told?
2. Can they be hiding eggs from you?
3. Are they females?
4. Are they eating their eggs?
5. Do they have ample food, water, oyster shell or calcium, and daylight?

Answers to questions....

1. definately, but I guess because they have grown I hope they weren't
2. Nope - had many good looks round
3. Well they don't crow but .....
4. no
5. we have 3 cross silkies who lay well (well except when the darn tings are broody... but one is laying now and one is broody and they other isn't doing a thing... but those three have all laid in the past)

Its winter here... Im in New Zealand.

Thanks for help!

Back
Top Bottom