Is adding a 5 mo. pullet to chicks possible?

4myHennyPenny

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2007
Colorado
Not sure where to put this question, so...

We've found a nearby breeder who has one of the breeds that we are wanting; this would be a started pullet that would be available at about 5 mos. of age (so can guarantee the sex).

For the other two breeds we were looking at, we were wanting to get them as chicks so we could enjoy the rearing (and cross our fingers they're pullets!!). Inevitably, when we did get the other started pullet, there would be up to 4 mos. difference in the ages between that pullet and our chicks. Is it even possible to eventually put the pullet and the chicks together (I guess when the chicks, now pullets, are old enough to move to the coop)? And wouldn't that single older pullet be awfully lonely until the chicks joined her?

Just wondering what everyone thinks of this idea. Even though it would mean we'd have a TRUE Ameraucana by getting this pullet (they are bred for show) and it's sex is certain, would we be better off chancing it with an online hatchery and sticking with chicks across the board? (BTW, we really can't have any more than 3 --*possibly 4, but not ideal*-- hens altogether, absolutely no roos; in town on small lot.)

Thanks for your help--we need to make a decision soon!

Last edited:
4 mo difference in the same place is gong to spell disaster for the little ones. A month really pushes it. I would go with a bunch of small chicks or with a bunch of older chicks. Especially if you can only have 3. Is there a way to find a local person that raises chicks and you can split the order or just buy 3 pullets off of them? If you order small amounts online, you're going to pay an arm and a leg for a heat pad.

Thanks, silkiechicken. We decided that raising them from chicks was something that we just didn't want to miss out on. So, we're going to risk the roo AND that our Ameraucana will be more EE than true A and get the chicks instead of started pullets. Based on everything we've read here, we think it's a fair trade off!

Placed the order today with My Pet Chicken. Only needed the 3, so it does mean I'm paying for the heat pack. But as other small backyard owners have mentioned, I'm happy to pay that small amount for our new pets. (Spend much more than that on our dogs!)

Will post when they arrive!!!

Back
Top Bottom