Is age finally getting to my older hen?

Meandmyhens3

Chirping
Aug 2, 2021
My hen Henna is about 5 1/2 years old, and within these last few months she’s completely stopped laying eggs. She’s been acting pretty normal, eating and drinking and whatnot, no symptoms that I know of. But her comb suddenly got super floppy out of the blue, and her butt is dirty so that makes me think her poop has been more watery though I’m not sure. I thought it could be dehydration but they have access to two jugs of water at all times. I also put in some rooster booster but no change. First two photos are when I first noticed her comb, the third is just a few days prior, and the fourth is a month ago. Is there cause to be concerned?
IMG_4059.jpeg
IMG_4058.jpeg
IMG_4009.jpeg
IMG_3278.jpeg

Yes. It sounds like her age has caught up with her. You were lucky getting eggs from her at her age. Hens usually start slowing down laying eggs at around 2 years old. If the temps are hot where you live, heat can be a factor as well.
As long as she's eating, drinking and acting like a chicken should, no worries.
I've seen old hens lay eggs in the spring, like my two 6 year old Light Brahma's for example. I've even had older birds in the past that have laid a few eggs here and there, just luck.
BTW, wash off her butt and make sure all the poop is gone. You dont want to deal with fly strike.

Yes. It sounds like her age has caught up with her. You were lucky getting eggs from her at her age. Hens usually start slowing down laying eggs at around 2 years old. If the temps are hot where you live, heat can be a factor as well.
As long as she's eating, drinking and acting like a chicken should, no worries.
I've seen old hens lay eggs in the spring, like my two 6 year old Light Brahma's for example. I've even had older birds in the past that have laid a few eggs here and there, just luck.
BTW, wash off her butt and make sure all the poop is gone. You dont want to deal with fly strike.
Wow even my 4 year old hens are laying still, I guess I really got lucky. Temps are hot but nothing extreme, it like 70-80° F, but nothing they haven’t handled before.
I’ll be sure to wash her butt, I didn’t know what fly strike was! I just read a whole article about it, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom