Is an ex- battery hen worth the trouble?

Quote:
That is sad. The whole factory farming thing bothers me so much. But thats good that you can take them. Is there any way you could ever ship them ?

I had 2 birds that were meant to be factory egglayers.

I recued them BEFORE they had to live the factory life. (one fell from the chicken truck during transport and found her dazed and on the side of the road) The other I 'purposely rescued' when I saw men in gas masks unloading 4 chickens trucks packed with 'replacement pullets' to replace the last batch of tortured hens)

Anyway, THEY had the docked beaks and I just bought them mash for the first couple weeks then switched to pellets. They eat just fine.

Sometimes birds beaks are severely disfigured by the docking process (usually when its done crooked or too short) Those birds usually die from pain/lack of being able to eat at all but sounds like your hen is a survivor so her beak must be fine.

The only thing I could 'possibly' see trouble with feeding her (depending on the form of the beak) is apples, large leafy things and such as she does not have use of a sharp beak tip to rip into small pieces. I just smash apples up well (stomp on them with my foot) for my girls and rip their lettuce up small when giving them these things as treats.

She deserves a chance for what she was made to endure (1-2 years of chicken hell) just to supply our human demand of grocery store eggs. SO I say give her a chance and spoil her rotten! Allow her to know a 'better life' exists....

27552_delilahs_beak.jpg

Here is what Delilah's beak looks like...

27552_bunnys_beak.jpg

Here, you can see Bunny's bottom beak extends out past her top as the top was docked back further than the lower.

cheers,
e

Last edited:
There is nothing more rewarding than taking a poor used up hen on the brink of soup and bringing her around to a happy, healthy, grateful girl. In my experience, they are very shy and meek but come around beautifully with treats and loving attention. They are like infants in that they have never set their feet on grass, looked for bugs, taken a dust bath. I think we should ALL give one (or more) of these creatures a chance at the good life.
frow.gif
<-- Steps off soap box

I can recall many stories on here of folks rehabbing battery hens and having a great time doing it. None of them are going to turn into show birds, but considering what they have been through, that's no surprise. I'm assuming they are Leghorns...?

My egg factory rescues are Red Star sex links I believe.

I edited their pictures into my post to show catwalk.

I guess thats what they use in my local area of Maine. Easier to tell male from female from day one saving them time and $.

Thats always what its about isnt it...$$$$ !!!

Last edited:
www.petfinder.com has chickens- but I assume those are mainly rescued/mistreated/owner relinquished.

Usually 'spent' hens from a factory go straight to companies who purchase them for pot pies and dog food.

I would look on www.peta.org to see if their are battery hens needing homes, often if a factory is extremely mistreating their flock they will be rescued thru an animal welfare orginization like them and then rehabilitated and placed in homes.

I have seen alot of UK websites dedicated to battery hen rescue/placement...however I am not sure about here in the US or if it is as popular.

I rescued one of mine because I had the misfortune of following a chicken truck on the way home from work...all those little hens stared at me the whole way....it killed me! I followed it to its destination and begged the truck driver to let me buy one. They gave me Bunny for nothing (and couldve gotten in a lot of trouble for it). Delilah I found in the road 2 years later (same route so I assume same trucks going to same facility).

Hopefully others have usefull links or advice....I'm so glad you want to open your heart to a battery hen. (though even 'cage free' live just as 'battered').

e

Last edited:
They are big into rescuing factory hens in the UK. Every site I look up is in the UK. Little red hen rescue and Chicken trust actually seek out factories and buy the spent hens from the farmers and then adopt them out.

Too bad we over here in the USA arent as motivated.

Maybe you can find out where your states local egg farmer's are and ask them personally if you can take one or a few hens off their hands when the time comes....

Sounds corny and 'overboard' to some I suppose, but hey, its worth it if it changes at least one life from winding up as dog kibble or a pot pie. That's gratitude I guess....

Good luck on your mission. Maybe someone will have more info...

Back
Top Bottom