Is anybody else trying to breed the perfect dual purpose breed.

I've got no quarrel with breeding projects.

Just be aware that it is possible to take a pure breed of dual purpose and breed them to lay more eggs or to have a larger breast; all without going outside the breed. Improvements in a flock can be rather quick to obtain if you concentrate on it.

I wouldn't start with hatchery stock; that gives you a really long ways to go. Buy good birds and some other breeder has already done a lot of the improving for you. You start closer to what you want.

Last edited:
Quote:
i've said this before on this forum - - a lot of people say start with "good birds", etc, etc, but few people tell where to get those good birds and what good birds are.

a list of good breeders who have this stock that is frequently referred to would be great.

Quote:
Also check the Breed Club web page (if they have one)
I know that some of the breed clubs share a message board on the net, that message board is then divided into each breed.
Here is a list of the clubs that share that message board----

Plymouth Rock Fancier's Club of America,
Cochins International Forum,
Rhode Island Red Club of America,
The American Brahma Club,
Chantecler Fanciers International,
Modern Game Bantam Club of America,
International Waterfowl Breeders Association,
Wyandotte Fanciers,
International Cornish Breeders Association,
Exhibition Turkey Fanciers,
American Brown Leghorn Club,
New Hampshire Fanciers,
Dorking Breeders Club,
Java Breeders Of America,
Bantam Duck Breeders Forum,
Dominique Club of America,
American Sumatra Association,
The American Buckeye Poultry Club,
American Hollands Chicken Fanciers,
Serama Council of North America,
Serama Council of North America

They also have ---

General Board,
Classified Ads,
Want Ads

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
I know that some of the breed clubs share a message board on the net, that message board is then divided into each breed.

Wyandotte Fanciers,
New Hampshire Fanciers,
Dorking Breeders Club,

They also have ---

General Board,
Classified Ads,
Want Ads

Chris

i found it. thanks, chris.

is it against policy to post a link?

Quote:

Wyandotte Fanciers,
New Hampshire Fanciers,
Dorking Breeders Club,

They also have ---

General Board,
Classified Ads,
Want Ads

Chris

i found it. thanks, chris.

is it against policy to post a link?

Yes, BYC's "policy". I don't know why but to each there own.
wink.png

I glad you found it.

Chris

I've saved all of this information, because, I guess, sooner or later we will get there, that is, raising/culling chickens for meat. But right now, gross, yuk, yuk!!!! Something my husband will have to take on, since right now, it's all we can do to keep them alive with all the predators, etc. to keep up with. Anywho, great info and like I said, guess will get there one day!

This snobbery about hatchery stock really makes me laugh!
lol.png
There is NO way there are that many breeders of the individual breeds we generally use in our egg laying, DP type flocks that they can supply everyone in America with "good stock".

I've seen what a private breeder had to offer and was incredibly NOT impressed...his birds were unhealthy and the weak genetics were just passed on to each and every batch he raised and touted as "breeder stock". That was my first and last trip to a private breeder....his Australorps were unrecognizable as a breed standard~dull feathers, no feathers, pale combs, small bodies, poor health. My Aussies from the hatchery could have eaten them for breakfast and pooped out a better bird than I saw at that breeder's place!

My hatchery mutts, as they are called on here, are still productive~an egg each day or every other day~and going on 6 years of age. They have wonderful and healthy constitutions, beautiful feathering, and consistent, rigorous egg laying. They do go broody and reproduce themselves, contrary to the snob's claims, so what, again, is the problem with hatchery chicks/hens?

Quote:
i've said this before on this forum - - a lot of people say start with "good birds", etc, etc, but few people tell where to get those good birds and what good birds are.

a list of good breeders who have this stock that is frequently referred to would be great.

Punky has already put up the Breed Clubs. Most Breed Clubs have annual dues. The information you seek is not free. The top breeders have worked extremely hard over many years to get to where they are at with their stock.

The SPPA publishes a Breeders Directory of old and rare breeds every other year. It is the largest publication of its kind in the US and Canada. It is available with the membership dues and a very valuable resource.

Back
Top Bottom