Is anyone else still flooding?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Frosty, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    North Dakota has been dealing with flood issues since early April.

Because the ground is so saturated, there are roads under water, and others that have just collapsed so a lot of roads are closed and a lot that aren't are in really bad shape. As far as the roads go, they say that even if they hire contractors, there is no way the roads will all be repaired before winter.

The river through our local town started coming up again, then we were hit with a few inches of rain and things started getting ugly real fast. They evacuated 10,000 people from the lower areas of Minot last Wednesday. The river has since dropped somewhat, for now the dikes are holding the water back so they did allow some people back but said that it could be a month or more before the rest can come back. They don't want to allow everybody back then possibly have to get them out again. A bunch of bridges are closed because they had to build dikes across them. Some had water running over the top of them. To top it off, there are a few reservoirs in the state and in Canada up river that are having to release water because they are at capacity. They are hoping to get enough water released so when we get rained on again they might have a foot of space in the reservoirs.

For all dealing with floods, tornados, drought, etc... my heart goes out to you. It's been a rough year so far!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    We have had our fair share or rain/flood in Tennessee.... but seems that either it floods or we are in a drought.
    It has been 96 all week and there is no rain in sight and predicted 96 for the rest of this week as well.

The flood waters have obviously receded here, but the mosquitoes are in full swing.

Hope things get better for you!!!

3. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    The flood waters are now flowing into Nebraska and Iowa- entire towns and sections of communities have been told to leave their homes and retuning to those homes will not begin until early this Fall. Very Sad. Hay fields and crop land flooded. Homes ruined let's hope no lives will be lost. Power plants and a Cargill plant are at risk near my home. Look for hearings on this disaster to start in Congress...looking into the EPA.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by