Is anyone familiar with this type of nipple?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ladycat, Sep 9, 2013.

1. ladycat

ladycat Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm looking for an inexpensive, easy to install system for a series of cages I'm setting up, and I've been searching and searching.

I came across these that say they work at any angle.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00CX6YB54&linkCode=as2&tag=ladsblo0c-20
    But there are no product reviews and not much info. Would they work if they were horizontal?

I also came across this site that seems to sell the same ones, only cheaper, but I don't know that company.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/50pieces-nipple-drinker-nipple-drinker-Poultry-Chicken-Duck-Coop-Feeder-Screw-In-360-Degree-for-chicken/964791207.html
    Does anyone know anything about that site? Are those the same ones as the ones listed on Amazon?

2. ladycat

Can anyone explain how you get the water from a bucket to the PVC pipe that has the nipples? I have a bucket with a float I can use. I just don't know what you use to attach it to the pipe.

3. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    ON THE PAIL YOU NEED A MALE PIPE TO TUBING FITTING. DRILL A HOLE THE SIZE OF THE PIPE THREAD. USE A PVC SHOULDER NUT ONE IN AND ONE OUT TO SANDWICH THE PAIL. RUN YOUR TUBING TO THE NIPPLE PIPE. THERE YOU NEED A FEMALE PIPE TO TUBING ADAPTER AND PVC SLIP TO THREAD ADAPTER. GLUE ON THE PVC SLIP ON THE TUBING. I'LL SEND A PM PICTURE SO YOU CAN SEE.

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    The simplest way is to use a uniseal. They take seconds to install with no glue or silicone needed and they will never leak. It also makes it very easy to disassemble if needed. Just drill the hole, insert the uniseal and stick the pvc through. Your local hardware store may carry them or you can order them online.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  5. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Good morning LadyCat. I used these for my watering system; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846
    These nipples are 50 pcs for $17 bucks, I don't know the shipping details. I bought 25 for $12.48 with free shipping. I installed them with ease and haven't had serious issues in those 2 weeks. Take a look at my install; https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...nsive-automatic-watering-system#post_11976213
    [​IMG]
    I used this 1/2 fitting to connect the bucket to the system pipe. Drill a hole slightly smaller, then apply silicone to the threads close to the base, then apply to the threads inside the bucket.

6. ladycat

Hosspak, that's a good price. Will those nipples work horizontally?

7. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    I don't think so because they work by gravity but I didn't test them at that angle. Suggestions on the web said to do them vertically and place them high enough so the chickens neck remain close to being straight while drinking. Mine are kept close to the side of the coop and I supported them so the chickens can roost on them as well. The chickens seem to have no problems using them.

8. ladycat

I had to think on it, but I can make it work by putting them on top of the cages instead of on the front. They are so much cheaper than the others, which is a good thing. :)

9. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    LadyCat Do you have any pics of your coop and/or run? I would love to see what you have.

10. ladycat

I'm going to take pics as soon as I have a working camera again. I'm making them out of dog exercise pens. I'm using 30" x 24" panels for the sides and dividers, and 48" x 24" panels for the tops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by