Is anyone here using thier wood stove yet?!

Quote:
Miss Prissy: How are your two set up? Do you have them both in the same building? I'd love to add one to my husband's shop which is off of our kitchen and is always freezing (literally) in winter. I'm contemplating having the stove people come out and give an estimate and opinion about whether or not the draft from the other stove would be negatively affected.

Last edited:
Ahhhh...we don't even have a fireplace in our house! I miss cozy fires...even though in our last house we'd only have them every once in a while, I miss them soooo much! It doesn't really get cold enough here to require heat all day, every day. We really only turn our gas wall heater
sad.png
on every now and then and bundle up with cozy sweaters instead! Guess that's the San Francisco Bay Area for you!

I may just be thinking waaay outside of the box, or coop as it is, but we have an old stove we bought last year for $25. I wonder if we build a section into the coop where the chickens couldn't get to it and used it, only built a fire at night a loaded it full, it would keep the chickens awful warm. By section, I mean a totally different "room", but the heat would radiate into where the chicks are.

We have a Hearthstone soapstone wood stove. We have been useing it for about a month now on those chilly mornings mostly. Have propane as a back up but haven't even lit the furnance pilot yet. Even during 3 blizzards last year our furnance never kicked on. I love ours it was a big selling point when we bought this place 6 years ago. We don't have to worry when we lose power during those blizzards, we stay nice and toasty.
This season we are even useing oil lamps in the evening instead of our electric ones. I have had the lamps for years as decoration and for when the power went out and just thought one day "why not?" you would be surprised at how much heat they generate and it is pretty romantic too
wink.png
. My electric bill went down 20.00 last month when we started useing them, I was really surprised. 20.00 buys almost a months worth of chicken food. With EVERYTHING going up so much I try to pinch pennies where ever I can
smile.png

Kim

3peeps - I have a free standing wood stove in my kitchen that heats the back of the house. It is vented out of a black stove pipe through the side wall and up above the chimney line. It is the only source of heat there.

In my livingroom we repaired the fireplace and purchased a cast iron wood stove insert.

We have never had a problem.

Quote:
Hijack away! My husband loves black walnuts...we get them from his grandparents in DuBuque.

Ozark Hen: I'll bet they would taste great with apples in a pie. To me they have sort of a liquer taste and I know I've seen apple pie recipes with brandy (I think) used either in the pie or to flavor whipped cream for topping.

I always doctor up my cool whip with some kind of liqueur.
lau.gif
I am notorious for cooking with it. Amareto in cool whip over a strawberry pie..it is in the pie, too, is awesome.
Put those black walnuts in the homemade cinnamon rolls..yum!!

sad.png
Well, in my part of the world it is going to freeze, so today I brought into the house enough wood for a few days to stay nice and toasty warm.

Back
Top Bottom