Wood Stove / Hot tent stove question

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I had a question about wood stoves, and hot tent camping stoves. This question applies to both a small cabin or using one in a tent, like hot tent camping. I'm a bit more concerned with hot tent camping, but its foreseeable that many people will be trying to also do wood stoves in their houses in the future.

Reasonings include;

Destabilization of electrical grid and utilities

Political and socio-economic problems, etc...

Also just a desire to be more independent and have many DIY skills.

///

So here is the question;

When you size the fresh air intake of a tent, meaning the air slot for a tent to offset carbon monoxide buildup in a hot tent, how do you determine how big that slot should be compared to the wood stove size? (And also what about if it was a small cabin instead?)

Thank you very much.

Also a note that I have looked at many videos about hot tenting in youtube, and similar topics and most of them just steer away from this topic fearing carbon monoxide issues entirely and letting it drive them away from learning. I think that is a mistake. We need to have many varied applied life skills because life throws curve balls at you. And you need to think about many ways of living especially when an economic zone is in a down turn.

///

Also a side note; old WW2 tents used to have a baseball sized air slot in the top that would sort of hang down inwards, kind of like a big sock/hose. And... I can't remember but I think it had 2 of them. Those old big green army tents. But at the time I was a kid and grandpa let me play in it. And I don't know if that was the ideal air slot size also. It may have been close to it? And there's the chance that that generation knew more about that sort of thing because they grew up in a DIY generation... but I don't know for sure if that was already the ideal size for a fresh air slot to offset CO from a wood stove. And it goes without saying that you are trying to get away with the smallest possible airflow from outside, since you only use wood stoves when its cold.

Last edited:
I love my woodstove we have in the house! We use it all winter and we never have to worry if the power were to go out. That being said, I think your best bet might be to go to a fireplace or hearth store and ask them. Or ask a chimney sweep, they might know the answer to your question. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom